Job Title: Movement Control Assistant
Organization: United Nations Organisation Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO)
Following the signing of the Lusaka Ceasefire Agreement in July 1999 between the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and five regional States (Angola, Namibia, Rwanda, Uganda and Zimbabwe) in July 1999, the Security Council established the United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC) by its resolution 1279 of 30 November 1999, initially to plan for the observation of the ceasefire and disengagement of forces and maintain liaison with all parties to the Ceasefire Agreement. Later in a series of resolutions, the Council expanded the mandate of MONUC to the supervision of the implementation of the Ceasefire Agreement and assigned multiple related additional tasks.
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Movement Control Assistant will carry out the following duties:
- Develops passenger and cargo load plans.
- Ascertains that dangerous goods are transported in accordance with the applicable international Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- Oversees and coordinates shipments including customs clearance, specifying carriers, routes of movement, transit times, service levels.
- Facilitates contacts with local authorities responsible for travel-related, immigration and customs issues.
- Supports in the planning and execution of military and police contingent movements.
- Works closely and coordinates with military/police personnel for military and police contingent movements.
- Drafts Movement Orders.
- Collects movement information and defines requirements.
- Actively coordinates scheduled and non-scheduled mission flights.
- Prepares operational reports and related statistical data.
- Prepares, reviews and distributes manifests.
- Maintains contact with other UN agencies, non-government and government organizations with regard to their travel requirements on Mission air assets.
- Offers multi-modal movement control support to the Mission.
- Intuitively plans, prioritizes, coordinates and monitors movement tasks and responsibilities within his/her purview.
- Allocates and delegates tasks as required to each MovCon element within his/her purview.
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other Mission Sections.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal job holder for the United Nations MONUSCO should have completed high school or hold an equivalent diploma.
- Technical or vocational certificate in movement control, multi-modal transportation, airline operations, logistics management or a related field is desirable.
- A minimum of eight or more years of progressively responsible experience in movement control, freight forwarding, airline operations, logistics management or a related field are required.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Professionalism: Good knowledge of all modes of transport. Thorough knowledge of movement control related processing and safety requirements; knowledge of aviation safety and UN rules, regulations and procedures; ability to work independently in managing difficult and time sensitive situations as well as conflicting priorities; proven analytical and evaluative skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “Clients” and seek to see things from the client’s point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies client’s needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the client’s environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timelines for delivery of products or services to clients.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) as the Movement Control Assistant should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 16th October, 2014