Job Title: Branch Manager Mbale – 00182590
Barclays is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London. It is a universal bank with operations in retail, wholesale and investment banking, as well as wealth management, mortgage lending and credit cards. It has operations in over 50 countries and territories and has around 48 million customers. As of 31 December 2011, Barclays had total assets of US$2.42 trillion, the seventh-largest of any bank worldwide.
Job Summary: The Barclays Branch Manager will primarily drive and deliver exceptional retail business performance, through the provision of efficient business management, powerful leadership, team development and achievement of operational rigour excellence in branches with up to 25 staff members or branches with single customer categories.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Business Management: 40%
Business and Sales Management:
- Agree targets and take accountability for the overall achievement of Retail performance objectives for the branch in terms of: Employee Satisfaction, Customer experience, Sales growth and income contribution, Cost performance, Risk and rigour management
- Accountable for achieving annual sales targets as cascaded from the Area Manager. Monitoring of progress towards achieving targets is done on a regular basis, at least monthly.
- The Branch manager is also responsible for maintaining a healthy balance sheet in the branch i.e. ensuring the assets on the books of the branch are performing to expected standards, that low quality assets are kept to a minimum and that the earnings contribution of the branch is within acceptable levels.
- Even though the branch manager may not be the cost centre owner directly, the incumbent is responsible for strict cost management in that branch i.e. reviewing all service provider quotations before the work can proceed. In addition, the branch manager is expected to conduct detailed analysis, on a monthly basis, of the following cost elements: overtime approvals, equipment maintenance, sundry losses, staff costs , stationary consumption/telephones etc.
- Active involvement and accountability for making purchase/ refund business decisions within set limits e.g. Sundry loss, Potential Loss Accounts (PLA), customer refunds. Can approve release of deceased funds within predetermined limit.
Brand, product and business proposition:
- Provide clear guidance to branch staff on the Barclays Retail business objectives, translating and prioritizing into business performance measures at branch level.
- Intuitively understand and provide clear direction to the branch based on market analysis of local area consumer trends and competitor offerings.
- Ensure that merchandising materials are displayed in accordance with guidelines.
- Brief staff on promotional and product launches; provide regular feedback on sales performance.
- Establish key relationships with key clients or business influencers in the local area, including client entertainment within budget limits set by the Area manager.
- Technically support product specialists and the direct sales team in marketing of group schemes and other corporate products to local businesses.
- Review balanced score card statistics – rotate responsibility for collecting statistics between team members e.g. leave, KYC results, accuracy, counter & sales statistics etc.
- Offer feedback on the performance or service delivery of external service providers (such as courier service, cleaning service etc) to the area manager and head office sourcing, to assist them with future contracts.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to operations risk and rigour requirements e.g. Health & Safety standards, security of premises, KYC and Anti-Money Laundering measures.
- Ensure that all staff in the branch adhere to all Barclays Information Security policies and procedures through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Review results of snap checks and progress on action plans.
- Conduct regular quality checks on all processes, focusing on transactions with high financial levels and operational risks of the process, including Branch Crisis Management, systems, reviewing control reports, etc.
- Ensure that all Barclays Africa procedures are followed through regular communication to staff and spot checks.
- Report all incidents within the branch in line with the bank’s incident reporting procedures
- Responsible for Systems administration (user maintenance) in conjunction with the Branch Operations Manager.
- People Management: 30%
- Customer Service: 25%
- Community: 5%
- Build and develop a high performing team through embedding performance development and coaching. Ensure that team members receive coaching and feedback in order to develop to achieve their maximum potential.
- Oversee the End-to-End PD process
- Recommend reward allocations for all branch staff, including bonus and pay increases.
- Determine and manage Training Needs Analysis and Succession plans for all direct reports.
- Responsible for hiring team members based on short-lists of candidates compiled by HR.
- Responsible for conducting exit interviews for all employee-initiated departures from the bank. Provide results of exit interviews to HR for review and analysis.
- Oversee staff attendance levels, including approval of leave. Compile monthly absence statistics (annual leave, sick leave, family responsibility leave, maternity leave, study leave etc), and submit to HR for record keeping.
- Directly responsible for discipline – initiate misconduct or incapacity charges, follow Barclays discipline processes together with HR and an independent chairperson. Build the case files where required.
- Motivate staff and ensure they are recognized through the Barclays Africa recognition schemes.
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative.
- Deliver powerful communications with branch colleagues to ensure they understand the vision and goals of the company and of your branch. This will include running team meetings, morning huddles, one to one meetings and written communications
- Create and maintain a succession plan for the branch
- Create an empowering environment for branch staff, encouraging individual ownership and initiative
- Offer mentoring and development opportunities for members of the branch team.
- Provide cover for Branch Managers at other outlets when required.
- Provide honest, direct and constructive feedback to others.
- Deputize for Regional Manager if required.
- Share knowledge experience and best practice with team members and other branch managers.
- Accountable for the delivery of outstanding customer experience through service and sales within their branch
- Regularly present in the banking hall speaking to customers and understanding their questions and needs
- Monitor the customer satisfaction results of the branch collected through various methods (surveys, touchpads etc). Establish targets for improvement and action plans to ensure customer satisfaction is continually improving.
- Ensure that all branch staff own and manage customer queries and complaints by taking ownership and resolving in a timely manner. Act as the escalation point for their unresolved queries and complaints.
- Build relationships with key customers, clients and businesses within the branch locality
- Understand fully the Barclays product on offer, and makes suggestions to product teams around changes and enhancements to products.
- Implements new product sets with assistance from specialist product managers and ensures all staff are fully aware and knowledgeable about product features and benefits
- Drive customer focused behaviour in the branch by role modelling great customer service
- Ensure that merchandising materials are displayed in accordance with guidelines and is useful to customers
- Review and provide feedback on SLA’s with internal service providers
- Through effective banking hall management ensure that customers are directed to the most appropriate service delivery channel to meet their need e.g. cashiers, drop boxes ATM’s etc.
- Manage remote and manual authorizations, by assigning responsibility for authorizers, and personally authorizing high-value transactions, to ensure efficient counter service.
- Interact regularly with internal service providers (e.g. Operations, KYC Helpdesk) to ensure fast and efficient service to customers.
- Interview all customers who want to close their accounts because of poor service or high tariffs to determine the root cause and to attempt to retain.
- Be involved in local community events and networking opportunities (e.g. clubs, meetings, business associations)
- Developing the external market and community profile needed to maximize the local marketing opportunity
- Identify community initiatives to become involved in and support as part of Barclays community initiatives (such as Make a Difference Day, Local community initiative, Financial Literacy)
- Link community initiatives to both business opportunities and colleague events
- Promote community agenda within the branch to build pride within colleagues and customers
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal Barclays candidate must be a graduate or possess relevant experience to compensate
- A minimum of three years’ retail supervisory experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of the full Barclays Retail product set, Local Business services and an overview of Corporate Business services, including Treasury.
- Deep understanding of technical support systems e.g. Brains, WinFos
- Working knowledge and understanding of Barclays Retail strategy, operating structure and interface with other functions
- Good understanding of Risk and Credit policies and procedures
- Detailed understanding of people policies and procedures
- Abreast with latest competitor and market activity in local area
- People Management skills
- Excellent coaching and training skills
- Strong communication and Presentation skills
- Skills in Business Management/Financial Management
- Performance Management skills and abilities
- Resource Management skills
- Skills in cultural and Change Management
- Excellent planning skills
- Good PC Skills
- Decision-making skills
How to Apply for the job:
If you feel challenged by any of the above positions, and believe you can deliver on key deliverables as outlined above, upload your application letter, current curriculum vitae and photocopies of academic certificate to our recruitment website detail below:
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, develops and promotes people on merit, and rewards outstanding performance, regardless of background and gender.
For queries contact us on 0417122453 or email: email@example.com
Deadline: 13th November, 2014