Job Title: Senior Accountant
Organisation: African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a not for profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with Ministries of Health, regional and international partners. AFENET works to strengthen epidemiological and disease surveillance capabilities of Africa countries that are critical’ to meeting the requirements of the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy, and the International Health Regulations (IHR). Established in 2005, AFENET has supported more than 20 African countries across sub-Saharan Africa advance their capabilities in early detection and response to infectious and non-infectious diseases.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support to the Head of Finance in the process of budget preparation and monitoring budget performance.
- Maintain updated financial transaction ledgers at all time.
- In charge of Activity advance requests, processing and accountabilities.
- Responsible for checking and verification of payment claims before forwarding for approval
- Regular review financial documents to ensure accuracy and completeness of the information there in and compliance with the organization’s financial policies and procedures.
- In charge of preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financialreports for assigned cooperative agreements
- Actively monitor Staff advance recovery, pursue beneficiaries to ensure timely recoveries and always update and guide the Head of department for appropriate action,
- Reconcile data in SUN accounting software.
- Ensure liquidity by preparing timely cash download requests,
- Review advance requests to ensure that no additional advance is not given while there is an unaccounted for advance against a staff.
- In charge of managing the entire budgeting process together with Grants team.
- Responsible for Tax reconciliations and refunds claims with other partners such as; CDC, USAID/URA/Ministry of Finance.
- Actively participate in the preparation of end year financialaccounts for External Audit
- Ensure compliance with Donor requirements.
- Support Head Finance in capacity building of accountants at both at Secretariat and Network countries.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration with strong bias in Accounting.
- Full qualification ACCA, CPA (U), CPA (K) or equivalent professional qualification in accounting.
- At least five years’ experience serving in a similar position in a reputable Organization.
- Prior NGO/Donor funded experience is a preferred advantage
- Expertise in finance and accounting, plus proven project management skills.
- Working knowledge of applicable US Government procurement, contracting, rules and regulations
- Knowledge of USG administrative / financial policies and techniques
- High numeracy and sound technical skills.
- Highly analytical approach to work and ability to make quick but balanced decisions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and an investigative initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to build strong working relationships.
- Proficiency in relevant financial computer applications
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their Email applications to:
The Senior Human Resource Officer.
African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET),
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please note that all applications should be sent online. ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for further discussion of the detailed proposed outputs.
Deadline: 30th June, 2015