Job Title: 2 Finance Assistant Cashier Careers
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprises of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant Cashier will mainly be responsible for all financial functions in Uganda, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Programs and other Departments, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to all departments, senior management and HQ to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
- Implement and Make sure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Implement and Make sure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected.
- Keep the office safe, safe keys, cash and other assets in a secure and protected place.
- Keep record of all cash, bank and advances on excel worksheet, update every day and reconcile daily.
- Do cash counts weekly and whenever needed by Finance Officer, Finance Director, Country Director and official auditors directed by the supervisor..
- Print all payment vouchers and match with the documents and file.
- Disburse or receive authorized cash or bank payments and receipts.
- Ensure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews made per the AAM before payment of any cash or bank payments.
- Enter all transactions to the accounting software under the supervision of the finance officer whenever required.
- Ensure compliance and adherence with GAAPs, Ugandan and US laws and standard accounting practice.
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system daily and ensure weekly review and posting.
- Match invoices/receipts with payment vouchers, GRN and other required documents.
- Prepare cash, bank and advances reconciliations and submit for review/approval every week and monthly.
- Ensure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Keep all finance documents and reports are properly filed, labeled and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following FFM.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Diploma or advanced certificate or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
- Two or more years’ experience in cashier, finance assistant and accounting
- International NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Accounting skills and experience in general ledger, journal entries, payroll, cash/bank management
- Computer literacy skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willingness to travel to Mercy Corps offices and take temporary assignments
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Kampala Head Office in Nsambya Estate Road, Kampala Head Office in Nsambya on Plot 1102 Nsambya Estate Road. Kampala, Uganda. E-mailed applications with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org will also be accepted.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Friday, 22nd August, 2014