Job Title: Shift Assistant (8 Vacancies)
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Shift Charge Engineer
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; Implement Flagship Hydropower Plant Projects of Karuma (600MW) and Isimba (183MW; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Shift Assistants will be responsible for the switching operations in the Control room and Power plant in accordance with the Power Plant Operation Guidelines and Regulations. The Operations Shift Assistant will be responsible for monitoring and recording of plant performance parameters such as Voltage, Current, dispatched power (Units sent out), power consumed by the plant auxiliaries etc. He/she shall assist the Shift Charge Engineer in all aspects of plant operation to ensure delivery of quality power to the Grid.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Control of Active and Reactive Power, control of Voltage, current,generator winding temperature, turbine and generator bearingtemperatures etc.
· Responsible for Start, Run, Synchronize, Load, shutdown of turbine generators as per instructions of the Shift Charge Engineer
· The incumbent will monitor plant operation at all times and incase of System disturbance, normalize the system through safe and accepted switching procedures.
· Regularly monitor and record meter and instrument readings in the control room and other equipment as required.
· Performs all switching that can be done from control room and instruct the plant attendant if any to carry out switching in the power house according to his instructions.
· Actively monitor and report alarms, trips, faults, abnormalities as they are picked up by the control room computers or the station and remote automated signalization instrumentation
· The job holder will monitor and record instrument indications at requisite intervals or as they bring in alarms.
· Responsible for the maintenance of control room log book
· Perform any other assignments as instructed by the Shift Charge Engineer
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The Minimum required qualification for this position is a Higher National Technical Diploma (HNTD) in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronic engineering or equivalent from a recognized Technical college, Polytechnic or Institution of higher learning. Successful Applicants will undergo intensive Training in power plant Operation at various locations prior to deployment.
· Proof of “Excellence” in Industrial Training from reputable Industry
· This is a physically demanding job and applicants must be physically fit, able to climb several stairs and possibly carry out several inspectiontours of the plant during the shift
· Ability to work under extreme pressures and take instructions quickly and make calm logical decisions
· The applicants must be astute with a good IQ level
· Excellent communication skills
· Must be highly organized, systematic and precise in work
· Strong computer skills in spreadsheet and some of the Microsoft Office
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
3rd Floor, UEDCL Tower,
Plot 37 Nakasero Road,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Or to the Company’s branch office
Plot 18-20 Faraday Road, Amberley Estate,
P.O. Box 1101, Jinja Uganda
Deadline: Friday, 6th November, 2015 by 5.00 p.m.