Job Title: Animal Production Facilitator
The Government of Uganda through the Office of the Prime Minister has received credit financing from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB), for the Dry Lands Integrated Development Project to be implemented in the Karamoja Sub region (Project reference number UG-0082-83). The Office of the Prime Minister will implement the Drylands Integrated Development Project through Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. an International Non-Profit Organisation solely committed to supporting the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals through the Millennium Villages Projects (MVPs) in 10 countries across Sub-Saharan Africa. The Dry Lands Integrated Development Project will implement multi sectoral interventions aimed at holistically addressing challenges faced by pastoralist communities that directly contribute to the objective of reducing vulnerability, building resilience, and accelerating the achievements of the UN Millennium Development Goals mainly in the districts of Moroto, Napak, Nakapiripiriti and Amudat.
Job Summary: The Animal Production Facilitator will be responsible for overseeing the field execution of livestock production interventions in accordance with approved work plans and budgets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will be involved in both animal health, production and Animal Nutrition issues of the project
- Work with partners like NGOs, CBOs, private sector and donors and districts staff that are active in the Livestock sector.
- Actively participate in the routine animal censuses
- Promote the growing of proven nutritious feeds.
- Ensure the implementation of timely livestock vaccinations and treatments
- Manage the process of grazing field improvement
- Oversee the process of breed’s improvement.
- Co-ordinate with other sector leaders in the MVP to capture synergies across Sectors.
- Work with the Business/ Enterprise sector to ensure livestock interventions are integrated with the Business Development, Nutrition and other project interventions in order to maximize impact on household income and nutrition.
- Supervise the work of field veterinarians
- Organize and undertake capacity building activities such as trainings and workshops targeting District extension staff, Sector staff, MVP staff, farmer groups, and other stakeholders.
- Actively participate in the analysis of livestock successes and failures within the project and ensure approaches are refined and implemented in line with the learning.
- Offer the required data for appropriate reporting (weekly, monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annually)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a Diploma in Veterinary Medicine, Animal Production, or in Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine with 3 years’ hands-on experience as a veterinarian.
- Proven experience in animal nutrition management
- Demonstrated knowledge of Livestock data collection techniques
- Sound knowledge of delivering extension services.
- Willingness and ability to work in the field 90% of the time;
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Possession of a motor cycle riding permit & good riding ability is a plus
- Readiness to ride a motorcycle for work is a must
- Knowledge of Karamoja working environment and language is a strong added advantage for this position.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to apply by sending an application letter (in a sealed envelope clearly marked with “”APPLICATION FOR POSITION OF…””), curriculum vitae, three work related referees, copies of academic certificates, and testimonials either hand delivered or posted to this address: Millennium Promise Alliance Inc. Uganda, C/O Pacification and Development Department, 5th Floor Room 2521. Office of the Prime Minister, Plot 9-11 Apollo Kaggwa Road, P.O. Box 341, Kampala – Uganda.
Deadline: Friday, 3rd October 2014 by 2:00pm