Job Title: Senior Officer Gender Roles Equality and Transformation (GREAT)
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 200 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfill their potential. In 2013, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Senior Officer significantly contributes to Save the Children’s capacity to implement the Gender Response Equality and Transformation project Scale up phase as a means of expanding innovation to improve Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health/ HIV/AIDS Interventions in northern Uganda.
- The incumbent will be responsible for planning actions to increase the scalability of the innovation;
- The applicant will be increasing the capacity of the user organization to implement scaling up;
- The jobholder will be assessing the environment and planning actions to increase the potential for scaling-up success;
- Increasing the capacity of the resource team to support scaling up;
- Making strategic choices to support vertical scaling up (institutionalization);
- Making strategic choices to support horizontal scaling up (expansion/replication);
- Determining the role of diversification;
- Responsible for planning actions to address spontaneous scaling up;
- Finalizing the scaling-up strategy and identifying next steps;
- Offering technical Assistance to the User Organization in integrating and rolling out the GREAT innovation.
- The Senior Officer may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should preferably hold a bachelor’s degree in a Health related field or Development Studies or related field.
- At least three years’ working experience in Gender programming, Reproductive Health and HIV/AIDS, related programming in Uganda (preferably with an International NGO).
- Cumulated experience in Adolescent sexual Reproductive Health, HIV/AIDS programming, adolescent programming SRH, gender, GBV, knowledge of behavior change communication and promotion is desired. Postgraduate training in Reproductive Health, Gender related field, Population Studies or Management is of an added advantage.
- Past exposure and experience and knowledge of working in Northern Uganda is a plus.
- Prior experience in project monitoring, training and mentoring (excellent analytical skills)
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Save the Children working principles and approaches of Child Participation, Child Rights Programming, Partnership, Child Safeguarding, Zero Tolerance, Monitoring and Evaluation, Programme Integration etc.
- Demonstrable financial, planning and budget management skills a MUST. Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Detailed knowledge of international and local policies and frameworks relating to their thematic area is a must.
- Possess the ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Computer literacy skills
- Excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses as called upon.
How to apply for the job:
All interested candidates should submit their applications with cover letters and a detailed CVs indicating three professional referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors should be submitted to: The Director of Human Resources & Administration Save the Children Plot 68/70, Kiira Road P O Box 12018, Kampala, Uganda Or via email: email@example.com
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer, persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NB: Testimonials/certificates should not be attached to applications that are submitted online. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity.
Deadline: Friday, 20th June 2014