Job Title: Driver/Messenger
Hebrew Immigration Aid Society (HIAS) protects refugees—including women and children, and ethnic, religious, and sexual minorities—whose lives are in danger for being who they are. Guided by our Jewish values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity, regardless of ethnicity, religion, or place of birth.
Job Summary: The Driver/Messenger will be responsible for driving the organization’s motor vehicles and carrying out messenger functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain, clean and care for organization’s vehicles and maintain regular checks on vehicles to ensure that they are mechanically sound and in good working order.
- Make sure that there is regular servicing and make timely reports of any problems to the Administrative Assistant; and execute minor repairs.
- Offer transportation in the field and to meetings and other destinations for organization staff and visitors on official business;
- Keep accurate records of deliveries made to other offices in the delivery book;
- Post and collect mail, weighing and affixing correct amount of stamps on letters and packages;
- Perform general clerical duties as may be assigned which may include photocopying and packing supplies for field travel;
- Obtain quotations and make simple purchases on behalf of the office;
- Keeps a log book/diary for use of vehicle including weekly reports on vehicle status;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a Secondary School Certificate. Certificate in basic mechanics and maintenance a plus.
- Possess a valid driving license (Class A, B, C&E) with 8 years driving experience. Computer literacy desirable; Current certificate of good conduct;
- Good knowledge of Kampala and its environs;.
- Possess the ability to conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of the agency.
- At least eight years’ continuous driving experience.
- Prior experience working in the NGO sector a plus.
- Possess the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high- pressure environment is crucial.
- Ability to work with diverse population.
Language: Strong written and oral communication skills
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to the address below or hand deliver to HIAS Central Office Address: Church Road, Off Ggaba Road, Kansanga, P.O. Box 7626, Kampala – Uganda.
NB: Please clearly indicate “Driver/Messenger” on the envelope with the applications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 29th August, 2014