Apply for the job of Environmental Officer.
Amatheon Agri Uganda is part of Amatheon Agri, a German agribusiness and farming group developing sustainable projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Amatheon is committed to act in a manner that is socially responsible and reflects sound environmental management practices. Amatheon Agri Uganda is currently developing a new commercial farming operation in Northern Uganda. This project involves a wide range of
local, national and international stakeholders.
Job Summary: The Environmental Officer will be required to act in the interests of Amatheon Agri in managing all activities associated with the budgeting, planning, implementation and monitoring of social and environmental activities related to the new agricultural operations in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) and external consultants to prepare Environmental Impact Assessments or Environmental Project Briefs for the operations and manage the process of environmental permitting
- Identify and report on potentially arising social and environmental impacts which may affect the Community or the Company; make recommendations on the actions required to remediate risks
- Be up to date in regards to environmental and social policy and procedure and amend or draft company policies (alongside IFC Performance Standards) to fit the Ugandan project
- Ensure compliance with Amatheon social and environmental policies in regards to running operations;
- Assess social and environmental project proposals and make recommendations to Management on financing and implementation
- Maintain continuous communication with all affected stakeholders (local household to government)
- Plan and implement project communications strategies with affected stakeholders and record and report stakeholder opinions
Maintain continuous liaison with HR Manager, labour representatives, unions and the workforce
Cooperate with Communications Department by reporting about activities on the ground in a presentable format, including photographs
- Perform other assignments as assigned by superiors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of study
- At least two to four years of related experience
Postgraduate or other training in Environmental management an added advantage
- Experience with NEMA processes/EIAs a strong plus
- Proven ability to apply extensive agricultural and environmental knowledge and skills required.
- Ability to relate to grass roots participants and high ranking government and local government officials
- Ability to solve problems in a practical manner
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Be assertive but diplomatic; mature with high degree of integrity;
- Excellent communication skills
- Good MS office skills in Word, Excel and PPT
- Fluent in written and spoken English; Fluency in Luo is a must
- Deep knowledge of the Acholi culture, preferably Acholi or Northern background
- Reliability, transparency and honesty a must; a fair level of autonomy in decision making expected.
How to Apply:
If you feel that you possess the relevant qualifications for the above position, please send your application letter and CV/Resume only by email to: j.musiol@amatheon-agri. com. Please include your salary history and expectation in your CV/Resume. Please do not include your testimonials at this time. We appreciate all your interest but will only be able to respond to shortlisted applicants with further instructions.
Deadline: 6th December 2013 at 12.00 noon