Job Title: Finance Assistant
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSCE will be achieved through the redeployment of resources from the regional missions it serves.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Record and reconcile accounting transactions,
- Intuitively verify and record financial transactions and prepare remittances for disbursement;
- Reconcile bank accounts held in USD and other currencies;
- Lend a hand in the processing of payments to vendors for goods and services. This includes among other things, calculating, inputting, and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors;
- Assist in processing payments to staff members for their entitlements including salaries and claims;
- Draft/prepare memoranda and/or faxes to various sections, and UN Headquarters, New York;
- Quickly respond to queries from staff members and third parties;
- Perform any other duties as may be required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the aforementioned UN Career vacancy should hold a high school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education at college/university level or professional qualification from recognized training institution in Accounting, Business Administration and/or Financial Management especially ACCA/CPA will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of four (4) years’ progressively relevant experience in a recognized large private or public organization.
- Detailed financial knowledge of IFRS/ IPSAS and skills in finance ERP systems are desirable.
Language Skills: Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of any other UN languages will be an added advantage.
Professionalism: Ability to grasp concepts; logical and analytical approach to solving problems.
Technological Awareness: Solid computer skills, including proficiency and in-depth knowledge of ERP financial modules and applications as they relate to accounting procedures;-proficiency in various spreadsheet and word processing applications.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve
organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications to the following address: email@example.com or hand deliver them to: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe RSCE – Entebbe Support Base, Buku Road P.O Box 710, Uganda. All applicants are encouraged to apply by e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number and the Job Title.
The completer applications must include the following documents:
- Cover Letter (letter of motivation or application letter);
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), Download Here.
- Academic Certificate(s) and/or High School/Secondary Diploma;
- Copy of birth certificate; or copy of National ID; or copy of National Passport
- Internal candidates must submit the two (2) most recent performance evaluations (e-PAS).
Deadline: 6th June, 2014