Job Title: Qualitative Researcher
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Post-Doctoral Social Scientist
Vacancy Code: QRX01
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University – John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Summary: The Qualitative Researcher will oversee the data collection process and conduct qualitative data analysis. They will be required to prepare progress reports on the study. They will also be required to give feedback about the both field work which will include interviews and contribute to revisions of instruments used in data collection.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect data for qualitative studies; including organising Focus Group Discussions and conducting in-depth interviews
- Periodically organize and participate in debrief sessions with the research team on data collection (e.g. interviews, FGDs and observations) that have been conducted.
- Play a critical role in conducting transcription, data analysis, including giving timely substantive and methodological feedback on both field notes and interviews as well as contributing to revisions of instruments to reflect emerging findings.
- Analyse qualitative data (e.g. observations, in-depth/key informant interviews; FGDs and field notes).
- Play a critical role in the development, writing, submission and revision of manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
- Assist as needed with other project activities e.g. preparation of reports on research, preparation of progress reports for IRB reviews and for NIH etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) Qualitative Researcher job placement must hold a Master’s Degree level training in social sciences.
- Experience in Qualitative research.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Past experience in electronic data collection
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should E-mail their updated CVs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the following address. Please make sure that your application letter, updated CV and certificates are attached as one document and indicate the Vacancy code as the subject for your email
The Senior Human Resource Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 15th June 2018