The Parliamentary Commission of Uganda serves the following functions;
- To appoint, promote and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding public office in Parliament;
- To review the terms and conditions of service, standing orders, training and qualifications of persons holding office in Parliament;
- To provide a Parliamentary reporting service;
- To provide such other staff and facilities as are required to ensure efficient functioning of the Parliament;
- To cause to be prepared in each financial year, estimates of revenue and expenditure for the next financial year; and
- To make recommendations to Parliament, or with the approval of Parliament, determine the allowances payable and privileges available to the Speaker and Members of Parliament.
Job Summary: The Research Officer will provide research services to Members of Parliament, committees and staff.
Organisation: The Parliamentary Commission of Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports To: Senior Research Officer
Salary Scale: PC 4
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produce research reports and briefs to parliamentary Committees, Member of Parliament and Senior Staff
- Collect, collate, analyse, document and store research data / information.
- Initiate and participate in designing research proposals/ concept papers, work plans and budgets for carrying out research activities
- Support the department in integrating and interpreting law / legal / regulatory related issues during research activities
- Offer technical support to the Committees when conducting Parliamentary investigations
- Analyse Bills and Policies
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation of Government policies, programmes, laws and regulations
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- All candidates should possess an Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Law obtained from a ma University plus a Postgraduate Diploma in legal practice from the Law Development Centre
- Good understanding of research methods and data analysis
- Knowledge in domestic and International laws
- Good research and data analysis skills
- Good report writing skills
- Computer literacy skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Age Limit: 21 -27 Years
How to Apply:
All applications should be addressed to the Secretary, Parliamentary Commission, P.O Box 7178 Kampala, Uganda via post or hand delivered to the Parliamentary Registry, Room No. 112, 1st Floor, South Wing, Parliament of Uganda.
All applicants should endeavor to attach recent passport size photographs, Curriculum Vitae. Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts and indicate two (2) competent referees.
Serving Officers in Government institutions should route their applications through their respective Heads of Departments.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Deadline: Friday, 29th November 2013 at 5:00p.m.