Job Tittle: Legal Officer
Supervisor Title: Manager, Legal Services
Introduction: The Vision of ERA is “A well developed and sustainable electricity industry that meets the national and regional demand”. And the Mission is “Regulating the electricity industry for efficient and reliable supply at equitable prices.” ERA emphasizes the following core values/ guiding principles
(i) Stakeholder Satisfaction
(iii) Integrity, Transparency and Accountability
(iv) Team work
(v) Equal and Fair Opportunity
Review licensee applications and legal documentation for granting permits and licences.
Carry out due diligence of licensees to ascertain the validity of their legal documentation.
Draft licensing documentation in line with the Authority’s licensing terms, conditions and guidelines.
Liaise and follow-up with the licence applicants to ensure completeness of documentation submission in applying for permits and licences by ERA.
Key Duties/Responsibilities :
- Support to the formulation of licensing policy and procedures for the regulation of the electricity industry
Be a central point of receiving and dispensing all statutory/licensing notices, complaints and directives
Drafting and or reviewing of all contracts and agreements where ERA is a party.
Coordinate with other departments with respect to ERA processes for the review of applications and issuing of license
Carry out research and provide technical input to design and review of licensing and subsidiary regulations on a continuous basis as need arises.
Monitor licensee operations and work in liaison with the Consumer Affairs staff to enforce legal compliance of all licensees.
Co-ordinate the work of the Licensing and Projects task team in regard to new projects/applications
Review licences for appropriateness of conditions and related obligations before issuance processes.
- Finance/ Assets: Support the Manager, Legal Services in administration of resources disbursed to the Department.
- Play a supportive and liaison role with Permit and License applicants
- Any other official duties: As may be reasonably assigned to you by the Manager, Legal ServicesKey Results Areas
- Efficient handling of Permit and License applications
- Effective guidance to and provision of necessary information to applicants
- Effective representation of ERA in legal matters/negotiations/dispute resolution procedures
- Develop and Implement legal risk management and control systems
- At least an Honors Degree in Law.
- Should have a Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Law Development Center and
- Professional qualification like ICSA/from similar bodies and or Masters in Law, will be an added advantage
- Enrolled as advocate with a valid practicing certificate
- Should be result oriented with very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Should have good research & analytical skillsAbility to work with minimal supervision and result oriented in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Related Job Experience/Additional Skills
Post enrollment experience of at least Three (3) years’ with a reputable organization/Law firm with demonstrable experience in contentious an non-contentious dispute resolution experience
Should be at least 25 years of age
Detailed Curriculum Vitae including copies of relevant certificates
Address (including daytime telephone, fax or e-mail) of the applicant
Address (including daytime telephone, fax or e-mail) of three Referees
THE DIRECTOR FINANCIAL & ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES
ELECTRICITY REGULATORY AUTHORITY
PLOT 15 SHIMONI ROAD
P. O. BOX 10332, KAMPALA – UGANDA
To reach the above address by December 03, 2012 at 5.00pm; Applicants who do not meet the stipulated minimum requirements need not apply.
N. B. Members of the Electricity Regulatory Authority or Staff of ERA Secretariat shall not be accepted as referees. Canvassing or any attempt thereof will lead to immediate disqualification. ERA is an equal opportunities employer.
IF YOU DO NOT HEAR FROM ERA WITHIN TWO ( 2) MONTHS AFTER THE CLOSING DATE, CONSIDER YOUR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.