Job Title: Programme Officer, Training
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM), established in 2004, is a consortium of 42 universities in 19 countries of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa (ECSA). The organisation evolved from the Forum on Agricultural Resource Husbandry (FORUM) program of the Rockefeller Foundation. RUFORUM is registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) and has mandate to oversee graduate training and networks of specialization in the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA). RUFORUM has an MoU with the African Union for strengthening science, technology and innovation capacity in Africa.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with member universities, partner institutions and networks to compile proposals or information on curriculum reform, improved teaching delivery methodology and teaching staff enhancement programs.
- Actively coordinate initiatives between member universities, partner institutions, networks, Grants Management Unit and PBM Unit to develop proposals for funding of training.
- Monitor, evaluate and assess quality of training.
- Take part in quality reviews for training either at the Secretariat or member universities and prepare appropriate reports.
- Compile data for generation of need projections to facilitate planning for training.
- Organize tracer studies and manage a database of RUFORUM alumni and the quality of training.
- Carry out research and prepare reports on the external environment for training that includes community expectations and assessing the outcome and impact of the training.
- Implement initiatives to promote recognition of the value of advanced training in agricultural sciences.
- Actively engage and communicate with regional program students, including Teaching Assistants undergoing training, and Training Coordinators.
- Regularly prepare profiles of graduate students and training programmes
- Source for relevant information in the area of higher education in agricultural sciences both in the region and globally to inform efforts to marshal concerted support for funding of higher education in agriculture.
- Update database of beneficiaries of training that should also include tracker information on their performance after the training.
- Update training information in RIMS
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant should hold a Master’s degree in relevant field of science including agriculture, biological or environmental/ natural resources science.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education Management or Project Management.
- A minimum of three or more years in university/research or training institution
- Ability to prioritise work and work under minimum supervision towards the desired results.
- Ability to analyse divergent views objectively.
- Highly flexible and adaptable to change approach to achieve the desired outcome.
- Ability to relate well with others, create alliances and take advantage of relationships for mutual benefit.
- Ability to proactively set and strive to deliver on objectives that are realistic, achievable and challenging.
- Ability to anticipate obstacles and think ahead about next steps even when they are not very clear or logical.
- Willingness to work over the weekends and readiness to travel at short notice
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send their applications via email to Secretariat@ruforum.org, or delivered in hard copy (with CD enclosed containing soft copy) to:
The Executive Secretary
RUFORUM Secretariat, Plot 151 Garden Hill,
Makerere University, P.O Box 16811, Wandegeya
(Ref: RUF/JOB/….: ……………….)
Applicants should quote the reference number and job applied for, and should attach photocopies of necessary academic support documents, including letters from two referees. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Screening of applications will begin in November, 2014, and will continue until the post is filled.
Deadline: 20th October, 2014 by 5pm