Job Title: Legal Assistant
Organisation: UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI) is a registered financial institution in Uganda and is adherent to the Central Bank’s regulations and guidelines and was founded in 1994 to provide quality microfinance services.
Job Summary: The Legal Assistant – Recovery will implement legal action for the non-performing portfolio of UGAFODE as guided by Institutional Policies and existing Laws in order to maintain the Institution’s asset quality in addition to managing litigation risk.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide cost effective and timely legal advisory services and support to the Credit Recovery Function at UGAFODE in order to foster effective management of Regulatory and Litigation risk and to facilitate the recovery of Non-Performing loans.
- Co-ordinate the conduct of litigation matters in liaison with External Advocates, Bailiffs which includes but is not limited to reviewing pleadings, preparing instructions, supporting witnesses, instituting the suits, coordinating hearing dates and providing necessary documents to support timely resolution of UGAFODE’s cases.
- Represent UGAFODE in Courts of Law, other fora of Alternative Dispute Resolution and participate in negotiating settlements in liaison with UGAFODE’s External Advocates and/ or the Credit Department.
- Conduct due diligence on non-performing loans forwarded for legal action to support recovery and to ensure compliance with the legal regime, policies and implement the appropriate action.
- Advise the credit department on the legislation on recovery of loans and Follow up, monitor the debt collectors to ensure all recovery mechanisms are done within the law
- Maintain schedules of up-to-date litigation and recovery cases and prepare reports on litigation and recovery cases for Management consideration within the required timelines.
- Address external and internal customer queries in accordance to Policy/ Service Level Agreement standards and timelines.
- Maintain a record of relevant litigation and recovery correspondence/ files and ensure safe custody thereof.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UGAFODE Microfinance Limited Legal Assistant – Recovery job must hold a Bachelor of Laws (LLB -Hons) from a recognized University.
- At least a Diploma in legal Practices from the Law Development Centre.
- At least one (1) year of post training experience and admission to practice law in Uganda.
- Sound understanding of the laws and regulations relating to financial institutions.
How to Apply:
If you believe you meet the requirements as stated, submit an application letter together with an up-to-date CV to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title you are applying for in the Email Subject Line. Your applications should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources and the closing date for receiving all applications is 21st September 2021. Applications will be viewed on a rolling basis.
Deadline: 21st September 2021