Job Title: Operation Manager (2 Job Opportunities)
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Generation Manager
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; Implement Flagship Hydropower Plant Projects of Karuma (600MW) and Isimba (183MW; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Operation Manager will be responsible for the general supervision of operation staff to ensure that the day to day plant operation is in accordance with technical specifications and the grid code. The Operation Manager will ensure that reliability, availability and efficiency targets are achieved while ensuring that high safety standards are maintained at all times. The job holder will also ensure that Operation and Maintenance team work closely to ensure generation meets reliability, availability and profitability targets of UEGCL.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepares operation schedules and coordinates generation activities to ensure that reliability and availability targets are met.
· The job holder manages and oversees the daily operations of a power plant.
· Ensures that power plant and equipment status indicators are monitored continuously in order to detect evidence of operational problems.
· Ensures that staffs under him including auxiliary equipment operators control, operate, or maintain the plant to efficiently meet power generation targets.
· Ensures that generator outputs meet the phase, frequency, or voltage requirements of electricity supplied to the grid.
· Actively monitors operations for efficiency and safety ensuring that all applicable regulatory requirements are followed.
· Ensures that Control of power generating equipment, including turbines, generators, and auxiliaries through the control boards or semi-automatic equipment allows generation of specified electrical power and regulation of the flow of power between generating stations and substations.
· Responsible for short and long term regulatory functions based on instrumentation, Plant Operations data log books, system computers, generation charts, and meter and gauge readings taken at established intervals.
· Ensures that the Operation staff Control, clean, lubricate or maintain auxiliary equipment, such as standby gensets, DC battery systems , pumps, fans, compressors, water coolers, filters, air coolers etc. to supply water, fuel, lubricants, air, or auxiliary power for normal operation of the plant and prevent deterioration.
· Mentors and supervises the work of the operation staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold an Honors Degree in Electrical engineering with a bias in Electrical control, automation and protection gear. Possession of Post graduate qualifications relating to hydro power will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of seven years’ experience at a power plant in a related area.
· Previous experience/broad understanding of safety systems, plant safety regulations and Risk Management.
· Familiarity with a variety of the field concepts, practices, and procedures.
· Familiarity with Grid Codes and power/load flow analysis
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the principles and applications associated with power plant Operation.
· Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to balance generation and maintenance needs.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Proficiency in Computer Engineering packages such as Spreadsheet etc.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
3rd Floor, UEDCL Tower,
Plot 37 Nakasero Road,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Or to the Company’s branch office
Plot 18-20 Faraday Road, Amberley Estate,
P.O. Box 1101, Jinja Uganda
Deadline: Friday, 6th November, 2015 by 5.00 p.m.