Job Title: Principal Environment Officer Compliance Assistance
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Manager Environment Compliance
The National Environment Management Authority (hereinafter called “NEMA”) was established under the National Environment Act, Cap.153 in May 1995 and continued under the National Environment Act No.5 of 2019 as the principal agency for environment management in Uganda charged with regulating, supervising and coordinating all activities relating to the environment.
Job Summary: The Principal Environment Officer Compliance Assistance will develop and implement Plans, Strategies and Initiatives to encourage proactive and innovative approaches to compliance with National Environment Policies, Legislations and Standards
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement Work Plans and Budgets for proactive and innovative approaches to compliance
- Develop and implement actions for promotion of cleaner production and green economy
- Identify needs and design response strategies for cleaner production and green economic development
- Coordinate and monitor proactive and innovative approaches to environment compliance
- Promote initiatives that promote green development, circularity and pollution free production
- Coordinate research and innovation in cleaner production and green economy in various development programs of Government
- Develop and implement a green development certification program for Uganda
- Develop and implement a rewards system for best environment practices in the country
- Effectively contribute to development and management of information system as part of the overall Environment Information Management System
- Coordinate with other departments on all matters relevant to environment compliance
- Support and promote applied research on best environment practices
- Support public awareness and education about eco-innovative approaches to cleaner production, green economy and circularity
- Supervise and appraise the staff under the Unit
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an Honors Bachelor of Science Degree in the relevant field of Environment and Natural Resources or Chemical or Environment Engineering or Chemistry from a recognized University or Institution
- Master of Science Degree in the relevant field of Environment and Natural Resources, Environment Science Technology or Chemical or Environment Engineering or Chemistry from a recognized University or Institution
- At least six (6) years relevant working experience in Environment Management three of which should have been in areas of innovative approaches to environment compliance at senior level in a reputable organization.
- Excellent scientific analytical skills
- Knowledge and skills in instrumentation
- Production processes Technical Audit skills
- Knowledge of green development and cleaner production
- Leadership, team building and supervision skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Good understanding of mitigation hierarchy
- Financial and Human Resource management skills
- Excellent scholarly writing, publication and presentation skills
- Resource Mobilization skills
- Risk Management skills
- Command of excellent Information Communication Technology skills
How to Apply:
Staff of Uganda Police Force, Uganda People’s Defense Forces, Uganda Wildlife Authority and the Uganda Intelligence Services who have requisite requirements for the positions of Manager Environment Protection Force, Principal Environment Intelligence Officer, Principal Investigations Officer and Environment Protection Officer may respond to this Internal Advert for only the said positions subject to their internal clearance processes as appropriate.
Potential candidates should download an application form, Download Here, and fill the form and attach “O” and “A” level certificates, Bachelor’s and Postgraduate Degree Transcripts and Certificates, Professional certificates where applicable and Employment letters in one pdf file named: “Position-Name of Applicant”.
The one pdf file should be submitted to email@example.com
Applications not in one pdf file and those arriving after closing time will not be considered.
Applicants are allowed to apply for not more than two posts. Those who applied for the re-advertised jobs, need not to reapply except if they have now acquired requisite qualifications.
Deadline: 16th April 2023