Job Title: Procurement Associate
Organisation: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The Procurement Associate will provide coordination, administrative services and research to support the efficient and effective procurement services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide operational coordination and administrative services, to support procurement projects and activities, following standard processes and contributing to the effective procurement of food, goods and services.
- Identify and recommend potential suppliers, and compile data/documents to support the selection of suppliers, ensuring standard processes are followed.
- Review, record and prioritize purchasing requests, and provide support to requisitioners, in order to support the procurement of appropriate food, goods and services, at lowest cost to WFP.
- Contribute to negotiations with new suppliers on terms and conditions of orders, alongside a senior officer, in order to obtain the best terms and lowest costs for WFP.
- Prepare Purchase Orders, contracts and any supporting documentation for approval by the appropriate stakeholder, and approve purchases within delegated authority, to enable the swift purchase of food, goods and services.
- Resolve issues related to delivered food, goods or services, using initiative, liaising with all parties and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of problems.
- Research, collect and analyse data in order to produce reports to enable informed decision‐making by Procurement Officers, and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Manage updates and further develop databases and records, to ensure information is accurate, organised, and available for others to access, and supports reporting requirements.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal counterparts, to support the alignment of procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform any other duties as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Procurement Associate job placement must hold an advanced University degree in Food Science and Technology, Agriculture, Procurement, Economics, Commerce, Business Administration or other relevant filed, or First University degree with additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- A minimum of six (6) years of progressively work experience in food, goods & services procurement in large operations gained from reputable organizations;
- Experience managing the physical purchase of commodities/products/services in complex situations;
- Experience handling routine transactions/ purchase of commodities/goods/services;
- Experience developing timelines and cost reports for suppliers (e.g. retailers, wholesalers and traders);
- Demonstrated experience coordinating procurement processes with other units/ teams. Languages: Fluency (level C). in English language. Others:
- Good working knowledge and experience in MS Office applications is a requirement;
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procurement procedures is desirable.
- A mature person with good reporting and writing skills, proactive, with initiative and negotiation skills, good communication skills, ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations multicultural team environment
- Tendering and Contracting: Displays basic understanding of processes to support the contracting/tendering implementation at WFP by collecting necessary information.
- Vendor Management: Leverages basic understanding of business needs to define vendor requirements and selection criteria.
- Commodity and Product/Service Intelligence: Appropriately handles products/services based on an understanding of sources, technologies, properties, and public procurement principles/practices.
- Systems & Reporting: Demonstrates strong understanding of procurement systems, Corporate operating System and tools to conduct range of analyses and generate reports to drive decision making.
- Ethics and Compliance: Maintains accurate records of activities in line with compliance standards to increase ease of response to basic audit queries.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th August 2021