Organization: International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy #: 1134
International Union for Conservation of Nature, IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization which helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges. IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
Job Summary: The Programme Assistant will offer administrative, financial and programmatic support to the UCO programme staff. The programme assistant will assist in the monitoring and coordination of the programme portfolio’s workflow to ensure team decisions are properly carried out andproducts are delivered timely. The Programme assistant will be responsible for smooth operations of related systems within the programme work unit. The position carries substantial responsibilities that require a broad range of skills and the ability to exercise considerable judgment, initiative and independence. She/he also works closely with the Admin & Finance team and ensures that payments are requested in time, in accordance with allocated budgets. The Programme assistant backstops the other Program Assistants. Project Assistants and Admin Assistants where necessary.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Administration support/Financial Management:
· Supports the program team on general administrative matters
· Offers timely logistical support to programme activities (trainings, meetings, conferences and workshops) making sure that all aspects and details of such events are covered. This includes coordination and/or preparing relevant background documentations for related events.
· Renders support to the programme team with meeting minutes and follow-up action points from Program Unit meetings, conferences and workshops
· Supporting the establishment and maintenance of an efficient records system. This includes maintaining donor and other contractual records and final project deliverables. This entails receiving contracts, having them signed, initiating the contract clearance processes and all properly filed
· The incumbent will also be providing monitoring support to overall program implementation including the program budget and provide relevant information to the programme team responsible for the budget
· Serve as a key liaison between the Program Unit and the Corporate Services on all financial and administrative matters
2. Support to Programme Implementation:
· Closely track assigned programme activities and coordinate with relevant staff and provide assistance and/or information on project related matters;
· Support in documenting and disseminating of materials and publications
· The incumbent will support the preparation and timely submission of technical and financial reports to donors
· Offer support to the Programme team in the preparation and monitoring of quarterly and annual workplans and budgets.
· Maintain the Programme ABC list, and take responsibility for its regular updating
· Actively contribute to the communication of project /programme outputs, i.e. help with publications and other write-ups and profiling.
· Support partner relations including updates and organizing regular meetings
· Assist with research work
· Arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
· Assist with programme procurement and ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated IUCN procurement procedures: This includes preparation of consultants’ contracts, obtaining clearance, approval in accordance to Internal Control System (ICS) procedures and tracking of contracts disbursements for consultants/specialists engaged by the Programmes/projects;
· Establish and maintain a proper inventory of project assets register, including numbering, recording, and reporting;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the IUCN Programme Assistant vacancy should hold a university degree with at least three years’ work experience in a similar position in an International organization, Research institutionor NGO.
· Prior experience in project administration including sound knowledge of financial, procurement, administrative practices and project reporting
· Project management skills with strong ability to support the monitoring of programme/project budgets
· Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
· The applicant must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and prioritize needs
· Possess energy, drive, enthusiasm, commitment and passion for high quality work
· Highly dependable, a good team player and able to work independently as well as have the ability to learn quickly and expand scope of functions
· Capacity to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
· Excellent writing, networking and communication skills
· Excellent command of English both written and spoken and ability to produce high quality documents at short notice
· Commitment to continuous learning and proactive and mature attitude towards self-development
· Willingness to travel
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants are requested to apply onlinethrough the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button at the web link below.
Deadline: 21st August 2015