Job Title: Programme Associate, Gender and Youth
Organisation: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. Since UNFPA started working in 1969, the number – and rate – of women dying from complications of pregnancy or childbirth has been halved. Families are smaller and healthier. Young people are more connected and empowered than ever before.
Job Summary: The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with other Programme and Project staff to exchange information and ensure consistent technical delivery of the work of the Gender and Youth leads the Gender Equality and Youth Development (GEYD) unit. The Programme Associate provides programme support to the GEYD unit, including technical support the overall work of the GEYD team in the country. The Programme Associate also works in close collaboration with partners and stakeholders to ensure effective support to the GEYD unit and IPs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Supporting GEYD Unit in the CO and with IPs
- Actively participate in the preparation of the CO programme and project proposals by compiling and analyzing information on Gender and Youth Development issues,, compiling project documents and work plans and preparing tables and statistical data.
- Contributes to the preparation of projects and programmes in the unit and with IPs
- Intensively works with IPs on promotion of effective community participation in Programme planning and implementation on matters of Gender and Youth Development;
- Assists IPs and community volunteers to understand Programme objectives and provides inputs for local Programme components in accordance with agreed upon procedures;
- Facilitates the participation of targeted groups in community planning events to represent community needs and ideas in relation to Gender and Youth Development.
- Provides support to build capacity of local NGOs, service providers and volunteers and other key partners in the Gender and Youth Development sector and supports follow up actions;
- Assists in the coordination between the various units and projects developing or working on Gender and Youth Issues to ensure proper mainstreaming.
- Assists to the identification, systematization and reporting of good/promising practices and lessons learnt on Gender and Youth Issues.
- Coordinates with IPs on the timely submission of projects and financial reports on projects, including the review and finalization of inputs on reports;
- Monitors the overall expenditure targets among IPs against allocations of funds;
- Assists IPs in preparing request of Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures (FACE) and follows up on implementing procedures with the IPs to ensure timely submission of all financial and progress reports.
- Assists in monitoring projects’ expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels;
- Maintains and updates partners and project files, including project progress reports, work plans and budgets in compliance with UNFPA policies and procedures.
- Ensures that corporate procurement management policies and strategies are adequately applied by IPs in project implementation;
- develop briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the GEYD Team
- Assist the GEYD team in providing support and advice to the CO on programme matters.
Research and Knowledge Management Sharing Support
- Perform research duties for the GEYD unit
- Write and review reports, articles, etc. for the GEYD unit
- Provide communication support to UNFPA, GEYD, IPs and other partners on issues of Gender and Youth Development and the work of UNFPA Uganda in these areas.
- Produce monthly reports on the status of GEYD related programmes or projects in UNFPA Uganda CO and with IPs.
- Record and distribute key knowledge pieces and materials in a timely manner to clients and stakeholders
- Correctly project UNFPA rules, policy positions, etc. on matters of Gender and Youth development in all activities.
- Stand-in for other Programme team members on selected functions as may be required.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Programme Associate, Gender and Youth job opportunity should have completed Secondary Level Education. Required
- First level university degree in gender or youth development related field, project/programme management, public health, or relevant social science discipline is desirable.
- A minimum of six years of relevant experience in Gender and Youth or related fields is desirable
- Experience in Gender and Youth project/programme management in private, CBO/NGO, national and/or international organizations
- Previous experience in the UN system is an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Computer literacy – Word, Excel, Power-point, etc.;
- Good knowledge of ERP systems;
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of another UN Official Language, an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity.
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system.
- Embracing cultural diversity.
- Embracing change.
- Achieve results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact.
- Projects Management and Support
- Understanding of Gender and Youth Issues
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and workflow
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Managing operational processes
- Proficiency in current office software applications; good basic knowledge of Project Management dashboard and software.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 26th October 2022