Organisation: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The job holder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems on a daily basis. The PPO (RAM – Data Analysis and GIS) will report to the Targeting and Prioritization officer in coordination with the Data analyst and Business intelligence officer
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop protocols and procedures to ensure Two-way Accountability and Transparency of Food Security and Nutrition Assessments and Analysis 1.1. Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of guidelines, protocols and procedures for data management, storage and sharing. 1.2. In coordination with the data analyst/scientist develop the protocols for mapping and storage of governments data
- Ensure high standards of quality, reliability and validity of the data and analysis in line with WFP’s privacy and protection guidelines.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data. Ensure accurate, timely data collection and synchronization with spatial data infrastructure
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets.
- Prepare a range of progress reports and data analysis of the projects/ initiatives of the unit (e.g. mVAM, markets, resource utilization) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Prepare a repository of data (official sources) and update following protocols and procedures (metadata).
- Write program code in order to support the development and implementation of efficient and effective data collection solutions, assist in the installation, configuration and customization of systems ensuring compliance with Government and WFP’s data privacy and data sharing standards, guidelines and procedures
- Support Data driven evidence-based decision-making process in a timely manner according to programmatic and strategic needs (data preparedness)
- Assist in the preparation of materials and the delivery of trainings.
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of activities and processes alignment for data visualization.
- Prepare data visualization products (dashboards, maps) for WFP ongoing projects/initiatives (coverage), emergency and preparedness, government support (online data library) with innovative systems and solutions, in accordance with established WFP standards and templates
- Upload and archive all maps to WFP Geonode following established standards
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold an Advanced University degree in monitoring and evaluation, food security, information technology, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Social Sciences or other relevant field
- At least three (3) years of postgraduate of relevant and progressive experience in data analysis, statistics, and assessments within food security, agriculture, nutrition, GIS or a closely related area, such as health, research, economics or information management systems.
- Previous experience in conducting surveys and multiple-sectorial assessments, including the design, data collection and analysis is fundamental.
- Has worked with technical teams (i.e. nutrition, Vulnerability Analysis, etc.).
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions
- Advanced experience in statistical analysis and mapping software like SPSS, STATA, R, SQL, GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Experience in the design or implementation of capacity strengthening on data collection, assessments, analytic work.
- Experience in collaborative work with national governments, UN agencies, and NGOs, as well as key stakeholders in the area of food security.
- Language: Fluency and accuracy in both oral and written communication in English.
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance: Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher): Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
- Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.): Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Emergency Programming: Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
- Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government: Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 18th November 2022