Organization: Compassion International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Manager of Business Support
Compassion International is a Christ Centered non-governmental organization dedicated to child development. Through a holistic approach, Compassion International addresses the spiritual, economic, social and physical aspects of the neediest children in communities to help them become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults.
Job Summary: The Public Relations Specialist researches, develops, maintains, and implements policies and programs that enhance Compassion’s reputation and relationships; this person aids in cultivating the organization’s relations with the community, government and regulatory entities, employees, donors, and other key stakeholders. The Specialist further coordinates and disseminates the organization’s communications with news or trade media contacts through special events, public speaking, or other means used to reach defined audience and program needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- The incumbent also serves as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- Develops, regulates and maintains creative, clear and consistent communication materials in support of the organization’s marketing, public relations, and internal communications strategies that align with the organization’s brand/identity and core messaging.
- Plans, develops, and publishes external communication (including press kits, press releases, annual reports, byline articles, storylines/pitch decks, web content, corporate messaging, and other PR vehicles). He or she may also develop and maintain lines of communication with media contacts and other external audience groups.
- Coordinates with media to prepare and relay communication concerning the organization for the press and wider community with the purpose of enhancing relationships with all of the organization’s various publics in order to generate mutual understanding, goodwill, awareness and support.
- Works cross-functionally to maintain the organization’s brand, including updating the style guide and editorial standards/policies.
- Coaches and provides expertise to other professionals and support staff in the public relations discipline.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Compassion International Public Relations Specialist career placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Mass communication
- At least five years’ experience in Public relations in an NGO setting of seven years’ experience in Public relations in another organization.
- Accreditation in Public Relations and a member of the Public Relations Association of Uganda.
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines
- Extensive knowledge of best practices and how own-area integrates with others; is aware of the competition and the factors that differentiate the brand in the market
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small projects with manageable risks and resource requirements
- Solves moderately complex problems; takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Ability to drive. Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, three professional references, reference letter from your current Pastor / Reverend, copies of academic qualification documents to:
The Senior Human Resource Specialist,
Compassion International Uganda,
Plot 8A3, Baskerville Avenue, Kololo,
P.O. Box 8936, Kampala.
Deadline: 18th September 2017 by 5:00pm