Job Title: Registered Psychiatric Nurse
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: Under supervision of psychiatric clinical officer, the Psychiatric nurse will provide professional nursing care to emotionally disturbed and/or mentally ill patients for Behavioral Health and Recovery Services; to work with clinical and case management staff to coordinate care and assist in treatment plans for clients; and to perform related work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts intake assessments through interviews with patients and relatives to gather case history.
- Plans and provides nursing care for patients.
- Makes nursing diagnosis of the medical and emotional status of patients and recommend treatment options.
- Consults with psychiatrists and other behavioral health staff in designing appropriate treatment plans for clients.
- Administers and notes reactions to psychotropic drugs and other medications.
- Arranges further medical attention when necessary.
- Assists the client in understanding the nature of emotional disturbances and accepting the need for treatment
- Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff and patients.
- Test for vital signs of pain and ensures treatments of pain.
- Documents all patient information on medical charts and follows physician’s written orders
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains accurate records and documentation of patient treatments, immunizations and laboratory results according to standard medical recordkeeping.
- Performs administrative assignments such as filing, answering phones, typing, and completing progress notes in the filing system.
- Provides courteous, high quality service to patients and members of the public by personal responding to requests for service or making appropriate referral
- Provide regular feedback to the Psychiatric Clinical Officer on mental health activity implementation at the Health facility;
- Assist in preparation of reports;
- Participate in the development and implementation of program work plans.
- Key working relationships:
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must have a diploma in Psychiatric nursing from a recognized institution
- Must be registered with the relevant professional council.
- At least three years working experience in Primary Health Care settings:
- Experience in planning, organizing and coordinating Psychiatric health activities;
- Experience in Information management
- Having concern for quality and standards, and ethics and integrity;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to enhance good interpersonal relationship;
- Good report writing skills;
- Good knowledge and application of Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 16th June 2022