Job Title: Senior Administration Officer
Organization: VisionFund Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Human Resource & Administration Manager
VisionFund International (VFI) is the world’s largest Christian microfinance network. For more than a decade we have been improving the lives of children across the developing world, as we provide small loans and other financial services to families struggling in poverty. As the microfinance subsidiary of World Vision, the world’s largest Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation, we work in 28 countries through our network of affiliated microfinance institutions (MFIs) located across the globe in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. We have an outstanding loan portfolio of nearly US$429 million, serve over 1million active borrowers and impact the lives of over 3.4 million children each year. Sharing the same vision as World Vision, VFI aims to provide ‘life in all its fullness’ to children as their parents receive small loans, improve their businesses and increase in ability to care for their children as family incomes multiply.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Human Resource & Administration Manager, the Senior Administration Officer will lead the Administration & Procurement unit in delivering comprehensive support to the departments and branch level. The Senior Administration Officer will be responsible for planning and implementation/execution of the Procurement & Administration unit’s budget and will oversee the functional operating plans of the team. The personnel will work closely with departmental units to effectively deliver the goals in line with VFU strategic objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Life insurance management and timely payment of the pension to insurance company.
- Planning and coordinating administrative procedures, systems and devising ways to streamline processes.
- Assessing staff performance and provide coaching & guidance to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Monitor costs and expenses to assist in budget preparation.
- Organize and supervise other office activities i.e recycling, renovations, event planning.
- Ensure the smooth and adequate flow of information within the company to facilitate other business operations.
- Plan and control procurement services in accordance to VFU policies and guidelines.
- Analyze purchase requests from the user departments and determine the appropriate method of procurement.
- Provide required guidance and support to the procurement committee in accordance with established procurement policies and procedures.
- Manage and monitor procurement contracts.
- Organize and prepare bid documents as per procurement specifications.
- Manages company assets and disposal process.
- Prepare periodic reports and provide secretarial services to the procurement committees.
- Evaluate procurement requirements and recommend appropriate procedures.
Planning and strategy
- Draw up and manage the annual operating plans in line with the budget and departmental mandates.
- Designing and updating administration guidelines for VFU processes.
- Identifying key gaps in the Procurement & Administration unit and proposing mitigation measures to improve service delivery to users.
- Drafting the budget and monitoring departmental usage in line with scope.
- Provide management information for decision-making; use of monthly reports.
- Prepare input for the work plan of the department under his/her supervision, determining priorities and allocating resources for the completion of output and their timely delivery.
- Ensure the development, preparation and coordination of work plans, department strategies and projects for the administrative activities of VFU and takes the lead in securing the required (human and financial) resources.
- Liaise with peer departments to plan and forecast the personnel, financial and logistical requirements of the administrative component.
- Ensure comprehensive and updated asset register is maintained in sun systems for VFU.
- Ensure branches and field offices maintain asset registers and submit monthly reports.
- Track asset movements by assigning to staff allocated and track changes of ownership.
- Ensure all the items bought that fall under asset category according to VFU policies are properly registered on the asset register with all the required information.
- Recommend and supervise asset disposal exercise.
- Oversee quarterly and bi-annual physical asset verification exercises for Head Office and Branch locations; submit management reports on results/variances.
- Provide recommendations on replacements/purchase of new assets/equipment as required.
- Ensure branch office operations are compliant with the existing asset management policy and resulting guidelines.
Contract management and process improvement
- Give support to the procurement officer and ensure the right procurement processes are followed and participate in the bid evaluation process for administration contracts.
- Responsible for the VFU property management portfolio, handle all tenancy contract management aspects and identify, analyze and recommend actions.
- Design database and trackers for office & residence tenancies, maintain track of rent payments, renewals, terminations and maintenance works.
- Manage and maintain the contracts, records, correspondences for VFU Head Office and Branches.
- Ensure timely payment processing of rent, expenses and utilities along with filing and record-keeping.
- Advise budget holder/ stake holders regarding requirements of property, real estate and asset components.
People performance and management
- Supervise day-to-day activities and functions of the Administration unit members and support staff.
- Conduct periodic appraisals and providing coaching for performance enhancement and ensure monthly reports are submitted.
- Ensure that the outputs produced by the service lines under his/her supervision maintain high-quality standards.
- Track staff leave and encourage team members to conform to set recuperation standards.
- Identify development and training areas of staff in the department.
- Prepare department reports and records, assist in the review of department resources for the VFU operations.
- Develop, train the team and implement processes that ensure quality control and maintenance of supporting documentation of administrative transactions in accordance with policy.
Communication and relationships management
- Put in place standards to ensure continuous and accurate communication flow (reception, internal and external mail deliveries).
- Communicate and disseminate guidelines and framework agreements with the relevant teams.
- Represent the organization in dealing with service providers.
- Ensure timely management of staff mobile airtime and data benefits, airtime loading, payment of service providers.
- Maintain collaborative and productive working relationships with partners and internal customers.
Office premises/ Facilities
- Management Continuously improve the organizational image through ensuring proper office lay out, outlook and proper ambience for Head Office and all branches.
- Develop and maintain internal and external cleanliness standards of the facilities to ensure a conducive working environment.
- Manage the allocation of office space at Head Office and branches.
- Monitor the outsourced maintenance services at Head Office (cleaning, fumigation, refuse collection, disinfection, gardening, drinking water, etc).
- Manage and take lead in key facility renovation / maintenance projects/ assignments that enhance the office layout.
- Conduct continuous orientation and awareness sessions to staff on effective use of office facilities.
- Closely work with security manager on security guidelines for the premises and equipment.
- Conduct periodic safety awareness training.
- Implement corrective/satisfaction improvement actions as required.
- Review invoices for local contractors and monitor administrative expenses to ensure value-for-money aspect is achieved.
- Monitor and provide feedback on incident reporting at offices and residences, and recommend necessary actions to supervisor.
- Manage, monitor and ensure sound control of drivers and usage of all company motor vehicles and motorbikes.
- Keep track and control expenses on fuel, vehicle repairs etc.
- And any other duties that may be assigned
- Handle any other duty assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in business administration/any Business related degree. Additional diploma in business administration, CIPS or its equivalent is preferred.
- At least five years of experience in administration roles in a reputable organization.
- Experience in managing assets is essential.
- Experience in logistics and supplies-related activities of not less than two years, preferably within an MFI.
- Basic knowledge of facilities management is essential.
- Experience in a supervisory role is required.
- Good facilitation and communication skills.
- Strong technical knowledge with good background in computer skills of Microsoft Excel.
- High integrity and proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Proactive personality, self-driven and strongly motivated.
- Relationship management/networking, and coordination.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Good interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent management, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Strong information technology skills.
- Achieving quality results and service
- Practicing accountability and integrity
- Communicating information effectively
- Thinking clearly, deeply and broadly
- Understanding the MF industry
- Understanding VFU’s mission & operations
- Practicing innovation & change
- Demonstrating Christ-centered life and work
- Building collaborative relationships
- Influencing individuals & groups
How to Apply:
Please send your updated resume and academic qualifications to email@example.com
Deadline: Thursday, 29th September 2022.
VisionFund Uganda is an equal opportunity employer. Females are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.