Job Title: Senior Administrative Officer
Organisation: Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Sub Program Manager
Lutheran World Relief is a US non-profit organization that works with local partners to provide lasting solutions to poverty, injustice and human suffering. LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF Uganda currently has five areas of operation in Pader, Kitgum, Adjumani, Katakwi, Sembabule, Kampala and Kamwenge Districts.
Job Summary: The Senior Administrative Officer will be responsible for the implementation, coordination, monitoring and efficient administration and management of human and material resources in the Field office, in accordance with the established LWF Uganda policies and guidelines as well as the Uganda statutory requirements and standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in liaison with the Sub Program Manager and HR, coordinates, carries out and documents all staff employment activities such as recruitment, induction/orientation, placement, promotion, discipline and termination in line with LWF policies, guidelines and procedures;
- Maintains staff personnel files, and updates staff records on a regular basis, and in liaison with the Sub Program Accountant, compiles updated staff lists of all the project staff;
- Maintains and updates the annual staff leave schedule and endorses all leave applications in consultation with the staff concerned and their supervisors to confirm leave days due and ensures that the leave period and duration are adhered to;
- Prepares guard duty rosters for all guards and ensures compliance to the roster;
- Secures custody of office and motor vehicle duplicate keys, issues keys as agreed with the Sub program Manager, and maintains a register/log of all keys issued and returned, in addition to ensuring that keys are returned by staff as and when required;
- Participates in the activities of the Project Management Team, organises and arranges meetings and workshop venues;
- Ensures safe custody, proper use and maintenance of office supplies, utilities, and equipment, and assesses and advises on needs for repair and/or replacement and initiates/follows up procurement or replacement of office equipment and other requirements;
- Maintains an updated Fixed Assets Register of both the office and residential premises, and ensures the inventory is sent to the Finance Manager as and when required;
- Advises and updates the Sub Program Manager on due dates for renewal of staff identity cards, processes issuance in liaison with Kampala, and ensures IDs are kept updated at all times, and surrendered by staff on termination of employment;
- Arranges official travel, accommodation and visitation requirements for staff and visitors to/from the Project, and ensures that such arrangements are made and relayed to the relevant persons and offices in good time;
- Maintains effective communications links and working relations with LWF Head office, other Field offices and sister projects as well as the relevant local authorities, community leaders, civil society/non-governmental organisations, collaborating/implementing partners;
- Oversees and monitors staff discipline and compliance with LWF principles, policies and code of conduct, advises the Project Manager accordingly and organizes the Disciplinary Committee to review staff disciplinary cases as deemed necessary by the Project Manager or Management team;
- Monitors and informs management promptly of issues of individual or collective staff concern such as remuneration, entitlements, welfare, complaints and grievances, and investigates related problems and advises, guides or counsels affected staff accordingly;
- Ensures that project motor vehicles and equipment are well maintained and utilised as required or authorized by the Project Manager, and also monitors and maintains accurate records of fuel consumption, utilisation and service/repairs of motor vehicles and generators;
- Coordinates and, in conjunction with the Sub Program Manager, ensures that Section heads perform regular staff performance appraisals, and takes charge of follow-ups;
- In liaison with the Accounts section, verifies the utility bills for the project office and residential premises and forwards them for prompt payment;
- Liaises with Kampala office to ensure timely insurance and licensing of all motor vehicles;
- Oversees the staff medical fund utilization in conjunction with the Sub Program Accountant, and provides individual staff medical statements of account as required;
- Supervises Administrative Assistants, Office Assistants, Storekeepers, Drivers, Housekeepers and Guard/Gardeners.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Lutheran World Relief (LWR) Senior Administrative Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in business administration or social science with bias in human resource management is essential OR Certificates or diplomas in Business Administration
- A minimum of five years of experience working in Administration and Human Resource Management in a reputable organisation with a multicultural character
- Computer literacy and some proficiency in MIS
- High integrity, self-driven and able to set own work schedule with rigorous deadlines
- Ability to initiate and complete assignments and to work under demanding circumstances with minimal supervision
- Strong organization, supervisory, problem-solving, interpersonal, communication as well as team building and negotiation skills
- Ability to collaborate and work productively with senior managers and to meet their expectations.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Administration Officer;
- Must be honest and trustworthy, respectful, possess cultural awareness and sensitivity and flexible;
- Ability to initiate and complete assignments under demanding circumstances with minimal supervision.
How to Apply:
Applications (motivation letter and detailed curriculum vitae in English), with the names and e- mail addresses of three persons who know the applicant professionally, should be sent via Email to: email@example.com. Please do not include certificates for education, trainings, etc. Please use the title of the job you are applying for as the subject line. Hand delivered applications can also be sent to our Offices in Kampala. Please indicate the position you have applied for on the top of the parcel addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager
Lutheran World Federation
Plot 1401, Ggaba, Road after the American Embassy
P.O. Box 5827, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 20th July 2018