Job Title: Senior External Relations Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior External Relations Assistant normally functions under the direct supervision of External Relations Officer or another professional staff depending on staffing structure of the Office. The incumbent assists in the management of external relations activities of the Office. He/she plays a key role in organising the visits of foreign delegations, donors, press and media, providing regular briefings and drafting reports/materials for external partners. He/she may also receive advice and operational support from the External Relations/Public Information Units at the Country Office /HQ.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft briefing notes, press releases, bulletins, reports, newsletters and prepare any other public information material, as required
- Facilitate and accompany visits of foreign delegations, partner NGOs, donors and the media to refugee camps
- Draft and translate routine correspondence and texts.
- Assist with developing and implementing UNHCR¿s social media strategy ¿ conceptualize and pitch stories for UNHCR¿s global website.
- Ensure that public information materials including fact sheets, information brochures, briefing materials from the Branch Office, etc. are available.
- Organize visibility events (e.g. World Refugee Day) and liaise with partners, refugees and local communities on implementation.
- May be required to assist in compilation of weekly, monthly, annual/quarterly thematic reports, situations reports etc.
- Review media daily and ensure the office is kept informed of local developments.
- Provide information on UNHCR¿s activities to external partners.
- Respond to non-complex media queries and incoming correspondence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Senior External Relations Assistant job vacancy must have two years of relevant experience with High School Diploma; or one year of relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Certificates and/or Licenses: International Relations, Journalism Political Science, Communication Media
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- Language Requirements: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Previous experience in UN/UNHCR.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
- HQ and Field experience with UNHCR or with other humanitarian organizations
- UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 28th January 2023