Job Title: Senior Procurement Specialist
Organisation: Uganda Energy Credit Capitalisation Company (UECCC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager, PIU at UECCC
Uganda Energy Credit Capitalisation Company (UECCC) is a Government of Uganda Company in place to facilitate investments in Uganda’s Renewable Energy Sector. The UECCC’s main objective is to provide financial, technical and other support for renewable energy development in Uganda with particular focus on enabling private sector participation.
The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) at UECCC will be established as part of the UECCC Organogram to implement the financial intermediation component for increasing energy access through stand-alone solar technologies, financing of internal wiring of premises, promotion of efficient appliances for productive uses, and clean cooking solutions nationwide (at households and institutional level), including in refugees hosting districts. The UECCC will also support electrification of public institutions, including public schools, public health centres, public water supply systems and so on, through stand-alone solar technologies.
Job Summary: The Senior Procurement Specialist will provide technical guidance and support in executing procurement activities under the EASP project in compliance with World Bank Procurement Regulations and Uganda PPDA Law and Regulations for the respective procurement of Goods, Works, Consulting Services and Non-Consulting Services. He/she will enhance capacity of UECCC staff and support procurement system development of the UECCC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Procurement Specialist will be dedicated to the implementation of the EASP project, and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide procurement technical advice to the Project Manager and Program Managers at the PIU.
- Participate in the preparation of project annual work plans
- Prepare the project procurement plan and ensure timely approval and execution of the procurement processes in line with the procurement plan, procedures and policies
- Verify that procurement requests are in accordance with the approved procurement plans
- Plan and coordinate the periodic prequalification of suppliers and service providers and ensure timely submission of the suppliers’ list to the procurement committee for approval in line with applicable guidelines.
- Work in liaison with the four Program Managers to align procurement needs with the EASP project strategies and agreements
- Support in collaboration with other PIU members the preparation of bidding documents, request for proposals, consultant’s shortlists and other documents based on relevant procedures for the procurement of goods, works and on consultant services and for the selection of consulting services.
- Manage the process of goods and services acquisition and disposal from tendering to negotiation and award of contract in line with the EASP project’s strategy
- Research market trends and linkages amongst suppliers and advise the Project Manager, PIU accordingly on forecast prices
- Work closely with other members of the PIU to prepare and process contracts consistent with the EASP project strategy and objectives
- Identify and assess risks for the procurement section for incorporation in the EASP Risk Management Register, periodically monitor the risks and escalate issues arising
- Monitor contract administration and vendor performance
- Tracking the expiry dates of contracts as well as their advance payment and performance guarantees (if applicable) and ensuring that these are extended timely and at least one month before expiry.
- Maintain updated procurement documents such as files / contracts / agreements.
- Support internal and external audit exercises as required and take corrective action arising from issues relating to procurement
- Facilitate the Post Procurement Reviews (PPR) exercise, and work with the UECCC Management to follow up implementation of PPR recommendations
- Works closely with the Senior Finance Specialist to ensure invoices issued are reviewed and reconciled in a timely manner
- Support the UECCC in tax planning and management within the procurement and supply chain processes
- Report immediately any noted fraud and corruption or governance issues with procurement or other staff, bidders and consultants.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the Project Manager, provided these duties contribute to achieving the development objectives of the EASP project
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold an Honours degree in procurement, business, science or related fields from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree in procurement, accounting, finance, economics, business or related fields from a recognized university
- Professional Qualification such as CIPS, CPSM, CSCP or equivalent
- At least eight (8) years of experience in managing procurement and logistics in Public and private sectors with at least five (5) years direct experience working on projects funded by World Bank or other Multilateral Development Banks.
- Working knowledge and proficiency in World Bank/ Multilateral Development Bank Procurement Regulations and Ugandan PPDA Law and Regulations
- Broad knowledge and understanding of risks associated with suppliers, contractors and markets for goods and services
- A high level of interpersonal and management skills and ability to work with teams in the organisation at all levels.
- Must be self-driven with ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision and deliver amidst tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply:
All candidates should fill the online application form at the link below.
Deadline: 8th September 2022
Each individual may only apply for a maximum of two (2) positions.
Any candidate who tries to influence the recruitment process shall be immediately disqualified.
All applications will be selected on merit and only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. For any questions regarding the application process please contact the Executive Selection Division, KPMG on +256 312 170080 or +256 312 170081.