Job Title: Senior Project Assistant-IBM (G6)
Organisation: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: VN/UG/018/2022
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Job Summary: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Program Manager, and in coordination with relevant units in IOM headquarters and the Regional Office (RO) for the East and Horn of Africa, the Senior Project Assistant will be responsible for supporting in the coordination and implementation of IBM projects, supporting the effective and efficient realization of objectives and providing administrative support to the Mission as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborating constructively with the Programme Manager in carrying out its technical, financial, administrative aspects, in compliance with IOM’s policies and donor requirements.
- Liaise with government institutions, other UN agencies and technical partners on designated issues pertaining to border management and maintain positive collaborative relations. Effectively communicate and follow up with appropriate partners as required.
- Promote and facilitate proper utilization of IOM Standard Operating Procedure, Manuals, Guidelines and Methodologies during the implementation of project activities.
- Facilitate adequate information management on all IBM activities of the Mission and information sharing on cross border activities, producing regular reports, responding to queries and keeping records in an organized manner.
- Assist in preparing periodic narrative progress, field, interim and final reports for the IBM projects; according to IOM and donor formats, in close coordination with mission team and endorsed by Chief of Mission before submission.
- Assist in the process of drafting and approval of cooperation agreements, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Government entities, Donors, UN partner agencies, NGOs, Contractors, and other stakeholders, in close coordination with Headquarters’ Office of Legal Affairs.
- Support in the preparation of concept notes, project proposals and corresponding budgets in coordination with the Programme Manager and with the support of IBM-RTS and RO Nairobi.
- Conduct field and desk research of local context on IBM issues and prepare background information to support the development of new project proposals.
- Facilitate inter-agency coordination meetings on border management issues and participate in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, policy, and technical working groups, as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination and presentation of IBM activities.
- Support and monitor local implementing partners, contractors, field working groups and consultants as required. Effectively follow-up with their deadlines, commitments, action points and deliverables.
- Liaise with IOM’s African Capacity Building Centre and the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control of Uganda as required.
- Coordinate the logistical arrangements for IBM project meetings, training sessions, workshops and other events as required.
- Coordinate the unit’s procurement of various equipment / supplies / services, etc. and prepare the relevant project purchase requisitions in compliance with IOM’s
Procurement policies and procedures.
- Supervise and guide junior staff.
- Establish and maintain an efficient information and resource material system.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Completed University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Social Science, or similar field from an accredited academic institution, with at least four years of specific professional experience or a High school diploma with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience implementing IBM projects.
- Knowledge of border management strategies and policies.
- Experience liaising with donors, government officials and other stakeholders. and a proven track record of resource mobilization.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Knowledge and experience working with IOM’s administrative procedures is a distinct advantage.
- Excellent, writing and communication skills.
- Clear and concise communication in writing (English).
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to details.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Packages (Office, Excel, Power Point, SharePoint, Adobe Pro, Zoom, Outlook)
- Fluency in English
- Working Knowledge of any other UN languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results; produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Other: Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
How to Apply:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com
Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/018/2022 – Senior Project Assistant-IBM should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
NB: Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Deadline: 17th November 2022