Job Title: Senior Project Assistant G6 (UN Jobs)
Organisation: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: SVN/UG/004/2022
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Job Summary: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Program Manager, and in coordination with relevant units in IOM headquarters and the Regional Office (RO) for the East and Horn of Africa, the Senior Project Assistant will be responsible for supporting in the development and implementation of IOM Uganda project for the ECHO MR. The ECHO MR project follows the publication of the Humanitarian Implementation Plan (HIP) 2022 in the IOM-CH 2022 proposal for humanitarian action 2021/00876/MR/01/01 in Uganda was approved the project Action is to: Strengthening National and Local Disaster Preparedness and Response Capacities in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation, and monitoring of ECHO project activities.
- Compile, summarize, analyze, and present information/data on specific project topics, highlighting noteworthy issues for the consideration of appropriate parties.
- Support in monitoring budget implementation and propose adjustments as necessary.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of ECHO project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft ECHO status reports: identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest corrective measures.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, and other forms of documentation.
- Organize meetings, workshops, and training sessions; prepare training materials and participate in the delivering of capacity building workshops.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records.
- Participate in ECHO co-partners, IP meetings; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, relevant to the project in coordination with project manager.
- Monitor work of implementing partner and report any non-compliance to the supervisor.
- Provide inputs for the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) and concept papers and provide general support for the development of new DRR projects.
- Provide guidance/training and assist in coordinating and monitoring work of other staff in the unit- may supervise other staff as assigned.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations International Organization for Migration (IOM) Senior Project Assistant job must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience OR a High School Diploma with six years of relevant experience.
- Experience in managing projects in the humanitarian sector.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non- governmental organizations.
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi- cultural setting is an advantage.
- Data Management, Monitoring and Evaluation experience is an advantage.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Knowledge and experience working with IOM’s administrative procedures is a distinct advantage.
- Excellent, writing and communication skills.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations
- Languages: Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish an advantage
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to Apply:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 10th November 2022. Reference Number and Position Title: SVN/UG/004/2022 and Senior Project Assistant- G6 should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
NB: Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview.
Deadline: 10th November 2022