Job Title: Social Science Research Team Leader
Organisation: Medical Research Council (MRC UK) /UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Duty Station: Entebbe and Masaka, Uganda
Reports to: Project Leader
Position Code: SSRTL -722
The Medical Research Council (MRC UK) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
Job Summary: The Social Science Research Team Leader will support the project leader and PI of a project in the implementation of the study with a particular focus on qualitative data collection and analysis, training and mentoring of research assistants and field workers, and involvement of the delivery of social science training in the Unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Request and gain consent for data collection from study participants and support other team members to do so;
- Conduct staff training and supervision on social science data collection and analysis, as may be required;
- Conduct qualitative data collection;
- Supervise data collection and manage any potential problems that may arise in the field;
- Conduct data analysis of qualitative data from interviews, discussions, observations;
- Ensure quality management of collected data and supporting team members in this regard;
- Assist in developing study training manuals;
- Conducting research debriefings with the team;
- Follow up of participants (as necessary) and conducting quality control of qualitative data;
- Conduct high quality verbatim interview transcription;
- Lead concrete aspects of data analysis;
- Contribute to drafting manuscripts and presentations from study data; and,
- Other duties may be assigned by the PI or Project Leader as deemed necessary.
- Handle payments to participants during study activities and provide accountability to the MRC administration for the same; and,
- Handle cash expenses.
- Train and mentor other study staff (field interviewers).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social sciences or related;
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject is an added advantage;
- Short courses on research methods and GCP training are an added advantage;
- Should possess demonstrable experience in qualitative data collection, analysis and writing up findings;
- Experience working in a research setting;
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a research team;
- Evidence of management and support of team members;
- Experience in data analysis;
- Experience of cognitive interviewing;
- Experience in petty cash handling;
- Should possess knowledge related to violence against women and girls and the importance of effective referral services;
- Knowledge of different qualitative data collection methods;
- Knowledge of ethics in research;
- Should be self-driven;
- Excellent social and communication skills;
- Excellent organisational skills; and,
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation at the link below.
Deadline: 5th August 2022