Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a non-profit international health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
About USAID USSHC Program:
USAID funded Uganda Systems Strengthening for Health Commodities (USSHC) is a five year program supporting the Government of Uganda’s health system to improve the availability and accessibility of essential medicines and health supplies (EMHS).
The expected results of USSHC are to:1) strengthen national policies and strategies and support cost-effective, equitable, and transparent utilization of EMHS resources; 2) strengthen country capacity for effective management and utilization of EMHS; and 3) increase availability and access of EMHS among priority populations.
Job Summary: The Technical Advisor, District Support offers management support to all USSHC supported districts in planning, implementing, and monitoring interventions to improve supply chain management for health commodities. S/he works closely with district health management teams to ensure that technical assistance, capacity building and logistics information system activities are adequately implemented; and that results are properly documented.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In addition the Technical Advisor will work closely with the M&E team to ensure that health facility supervision data is used for decision making at district and regional level.
- Manage the district support team in the absence of the Senior Technical Advisor.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Advisor develop and implement plan for roll out of SPARS Supervise district support staff as assigned.
- Provide support district support staff and MMS to develop work plans and carry out supervision, performance assessment and Recognition (SPARS) visits at facility level in their area of jurisdiction.
- Work closely with Senior Technical Advisor ensure the successful implementation of pharmaceutical financial management in HC IV and Hospitals
- Work with the GPP team to implement the GPP inspection in facilities
- Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Advisor roll out Peer strategy to ensure institutionalized supportive supervision in SPARS Develop and roll out quality assurance mechanisms
- Actively participate in planned operational and impact research
- Compile and submit regular status reports of planned district activities to the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a good Bachelor’s degree in a health area; including pharmacy, medicine, public health. Post graduate qualification is an added advantage
- Five or more years’ work experience in providing pharmaceutical management services especially in the area of supply chain.
- Past exposure and experience in system strengthening is preferred
- Good working experience in Uganda with knowledge and comprehensive understanding of the Uganda public health system.
- Proven ability to collaborate with other stakeholders in developing creative and strategic solutions to achieve common goals.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and shifting deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, administrative and communications skills
- Strong teamwork and team-building skills
- Past exposure and experience in developing training curricula, materials and in delivering training to programs preferred.
- Strong English skills required, including ability to write lucid technical reports and documents
- Demonstrated computer skills, including knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
- Possess the ability and willingness to travel extensively throughout Uganda
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send their application (cover letter and CV only) addressed to The Human Resources Partner at MSH, Plot 15 Princess Anne Drive, Bugolobi, P. O. Box 71419, Kampala, Uganda or via Email to: HRUG@msh.org.
Deadline: 10th October, 2014 by 5.00pm.