Job Title: Transport Assistant (Fresher NGO Jobs)
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Tororo, Uganda
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an independently governed institute within the College of Health Sciences at Makerere University and has the mission “To strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development.” IDI has operations across Uganda as well as in a number of other African countries and has a staffing of over 1,000 managing multiple projects in research, clinical services, public health and training.
Job Summary: The Transport Assistant provides safe and reliable transportation of project staff, visitors and materials, keeps the Project vehicle/s in good mechanical and functional condition, ensures compliance with all vehicle-related legal and institutional /management requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide safe, comfortable and reliable transportation for project staff and partners/visitors including but not confined to travel within project sites and all other locations as may be required.
- To transport project materials and supplies to various destinations as required by authorized staff for project business.
- To keep the project vehicle in good mechanical and functional condition including but not confined to regular fueling, servicing and cleaning of the interior and exterior.
- To perform regular preventive maintenance and minor repairs where possible.
- To ensure TIMELY notification to the Field Office Coordinator/fleet team of any major vehicle repairs necessary
- To ensure that all required documentation for administrative use such as mileage, fuel usage and trip authorization tracking information is kept up to date at all times in the prescribed manner.
- To ensure that all legal, institutional and municipal requirements and dues are met in good time and/or regularly renewed e.g. Third party and Comprehensive Insurance, Parking Fees, Registration and Licenses etc.
- To ensure that all reasonable measures are taken to protect the project vehicle from theft or damage
- To run general errands and assume other duties as assigned by the supervisor to ensure the sound functioning of the office and achievement of project goals.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education with credits in English.
- Valid Uganda class “DM” & or “DL”
- Knowledge of current traffic rules and regulations
- Basic knowledge of vehicle operation and the associated mechanics
- Familiarity with the lay-out and location of key facilities in the project area.
- Physical ability, flexibility and willingness to drive for long hours and occasionally on weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to communicate competently and understand instructions in English and in common local language/s.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to understand and adhere to company vehicle policies and competently complete vehicle-related documentation.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle mechanics
- Ability to work in a team of different Technical Supervisory Teams in a respectful way.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 17th February 2023