Uganda Christian University has started offering a Master of Laws Degree Course in conjunction with the University of Central Lancashire Law School, United Kingdom.
The Master of Laws Degree Course will begin in January 2015.
1. Course description: Masters in Law (LLM) in International Business Law. This course consists of three semesters. The first two semesters consist of taught modules. The third semester is dedicated to the completion of a written dissertation.
The new course at Uganda Christian University is aimed at providing students with expertise, analytical and reflective skills. The course aims to provide a learning experience that will enable students to develop their academic ability, to further develop their careers and to assist them in making a positive contribution to the wider, global and national community. Other aims of the course include:
- To facilitate a critical awareness of current issues and the transnational business environment informed by leading edge research and practice.
- To equip students, through the use of seminar-based learning, with the ability to demonstrate effective skills of team work, self-confidence in group situations and critical and analytical reasoning skills.
- To develop systematic understanding and critical appreciation of the complex legal, economic and political issues surrounding international trade relations, global business and their regulation.
- To develop skills to enable the synthesis and interpretation of course material and enable the student to develop their own theories and hypotheses in the context of existing recorded material, apply to new situations and be able to communicate their ideas effectively.
- To provide the basis, in particular through the undertaking of the dissertation, but also through the undertaking of coursework, for the development of critical analytical skills and application of academic knowledge, for further research within the area of International Business Law.
Master of Laws Degree Course is targeting university graduates and professionals interested in developing additional expertise and qualifications in business law.
Mode of teaching (e.g. Modular, Fulltime, Day, Evening etc…): Block teaching in the evening and at weekends. Each module will have 9×2 hour workshops usually delivered on consecutive days from one week, through the weekend and into the second week.
Requirements for admission: A bachelor degree with Honours at lower second class or above or a professional qualification in law deemed to be degree equivalent. (Other qualifications or specific professional training and /or experience may also be considered if applicant is able to demonstrate his/her suitability for the course and to provide evidence as appropriate. Students must be fluent in English and may be subject to an interview process. Space in the program will be limited to 45 students for the first intake that will begin in January 2015.
Tuition: The cost of tuition for this LLM Programme is 5,000 Pounds British Sterling or UGX equivalent for the complete three-semester offering. Students will also be required to pay required fees and costs as determined and will be required to pay additional costs if they do not complete their studies within three semesters. Specific requirements regarding the timing of payments will be provided to students in their admission letters.
Note on Prior Applicants: This course was originally listed as beginning in September of 2014. Applicants who submitted applications seeking admission to a September offering will be considered for admission in January unless they affirmatively withdraw their applications by 15 September 2014.
8. Programme Viability: The Programme requires 25 matriculating students to be viable.
9. Campus: Classes will be offered at Uganda Christian University’s Kampala Campus
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
In Uganda applications forms are available at a non-refundable fee of Uganda Shs 50,000/= from;
The Admissions office Uganda Christian University Main Campus.
P.O. Box 4, Mukono
Tel: 0312-350880/835/826; 079-4770826,
Uganda Christian University Kampala Campus
Located at Talemwa Towers. Kabaka Njagala Rd at the Junction with Rubaga Rd
Forms can also be obtained from,
Bishop Barham University College, Kabale
P.O. Box 613, Kabale
Uganda Christian University Mbale Campus
P.O. Box, 189 Mbale
Uganda Christian University Arua Campus
The Diocesan Education offices of:
- Diocese of Busoga 0782153365
- Soroti Tel. 0772882506
- Bunyoro Kitara Tel. 0772869878 and
- Ankole Tel. 0772633700,
- North Ankole Tel. 0772383445
And Online at www.ucu.ac.ug/admissions
NOTE: Applications downloaded online should be paid for at the cash office on submission of the application form.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
The Deadline for receiving applications is Friday 17th October 2014
NB: Courses are closed as soon as the required number of applicants is attained.
For more information please contact:
P.O. Box 4, Mukono Tel: 0312-350880/835/826; 079-4770826,