Job Title: WPE Protection House Skilling Officer
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: The Women’s Protection & Empowerment Skilling Officer support will lead skilling intervention at the Protection Houses (Females and Males) while providing extension services to the Women and Girls Safe spaces in the Zones as required by the supervisor. With direct supervision from the WPE manager, the WPE skilling Officer will ensure that the goals and objectives of the projects are met in a timely and effective manner. Specific responsibilities include oversight of skilling program at the Protection houses and occasionally extension technical support to skilling activities at the WGSS in the different Zones within Bidibidi to the Persons of concern.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create functional or decorative objects by hand, using a variety of methods and materials and also describes how this is done
- Develop concepts or creative ideas for craft objects.
- Set specifications for materials, dimensions, and finishes.
- Sketch or draw objects to be crafted.
- Develop designs using specialized computer software
- Create prototypes or models of objects to be crafted.
- Fabricate patterns or templates to guide craft production including Cutting, shaping, fitting, join, mold, or otherwise process materials, using hand tools, power tools, and/or machinery.
- Select materials for use based on strength, color, texture, balance, weight, size, malleability and other characteristics.
- Apply finishes to objects being crafted.
- Research craft trends, venues, and customer buying patterns in order to inspire designs and marketing strategies.
- Develop product packaging, display and pricing strategies.
- Advertise products and work, using media such as internet advertising and brochures.
- Attend craft shows to market products.
- Confer with customers to assess customer needs or obtain feedback.
- Compile and submit weekly and monthly reports to the WPE manager
- Occasionally support life skills activities in the zones.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Craftsmanship, crocheting, knitting, Beading from Vocational institutions certified by DIT, and UBTEB or an equivalent.
- DIT certification and or work pass out by Directorate of industrial training in Crafts making, crocheting, knitting.
- Three to five years of experience in crafts making, crocheting, knitting.
- Must demonstrate practical applications of skills in crafts making, crocheting, knitting.
- Ability to Use Crafts, crocheting and Knitting machines (manual and Electronics equipment)
- Ability to make minor repairs in case of machine breakdown is an added advantage
- Basic knowledge in bakery of snacks is an added advantage.
- Must speak and write local Arabics, English, Kakwa and Lugbara.
NB: Female candidates and persons with disability are encouraged to apply. IRC is an organization that offer equal opportunities during application processes.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd August 2022