Job Title: Zonal Finance Officer
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
- Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
Job Summary: The Zonal Finance Officer will provide financial management support to the specific zonal office for all operations and program activities. S/he will be responsible for processing advances, reconciliation of advances, payment to vendors, travel reimbursement for zonal staff, request for funds transfer from the Kampala Head Office and preparation of bank reconciliation reports among other responsibilities. This position reports to the Senior Zone Manager and will work in close collaboration with the Senior Finance Officer for Zonal Operations in Kampala. This is a full-time position based in the Gulu Zonal Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process wire transfers and payments; prepare vouchers; review and certify that all supporting documentation is compliant with local tax laws, as well as USAID and EDC policies.
- Participate in budget planning and tracking in collaboration with the Senior Zone Manager.
- Coordinate, manage and account for all mobile money payments emanating from the zonal office.
- Record financial transactions in QuickBooks completely and correctly.
- Conduct bank transactions to the maximum extent possible using Stanbic Business Online.
- Maintain all necessary accounting records as appropriate and ensure they are acceptable for audit purposes.
- Scan and file all accounting documentation on a monthly basis per EDC file retention policies.
- Any other duties relevant to the position as may be assigned by the Senior Zone Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Computing, Business Administration or any related field.
- Must have at least 6 years of progressively responsible and directly relevant experience is required. An advanced degree is an added advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of and financial management experience with USAID funded programs.
- Excellent skills in Excel and Word.
- In-depth skills and knowledge of accounting software, especially QuickBooks.
- Expense tracking and reporting.
- Budget variance tracking and reporting.
- Experience with online banking and mobile money management.
- Experience with USAID VAT reporting.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English.
- Team player.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 1st July 2022