The International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) and Eye Cancer Foundation (ECF) are delighted to offer its Six-Month Fellowships for developing countries applicants. These fellowships are available for young ophthalmologists.
The aim of these fellowships is to support young ophthalmologists from developing countries who wish to gain a deeper insight into Retinoblastoma diagnosis and treatment.
The International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) is an international organisation which represents and serves professional associations of ophthalmologists. The Board of Trustees of the International Council of Ophthalmology is the executive body and operational arm of the ICO.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for young ophthalmologists.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Diagnosis and Therapy of Retinoblastoma.
Scholarship Award: US$8000 (maximum) to cover travel and living expenses for six months. The exact amount is subject to actual student-style living expenses in the host country.
Number of Scholarships: Not known
Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Residency training must be completed before applying for the fellowship.
- Specialist exam in ophthalmology must be successfully passed.
- Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
- Applicants must return to home country after the training, resume previous positions, and apply the knowledge gained during the fellowship.
- Applicant must be reasonably fluent in the language of the fellowship training centre.
- The ICO recommends that candidates pass one or more ICO exams. We consider this in the assessment of applications (www.icoexams.org).
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration.
Nationality: Applicants from developing countries are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a previous year degree.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
The steps to apply for an ICO fellowship are listed below:
- Select a Fellowship: After identifying your country, the ICO Fellowship(s) you are eligible for will be shown.
- Complete Eligibility Check: You will be asked to provide information in order to determine if you are eligible to receive the selected ICO Fellowship.
- ICO Eligibility Review: After your information is submitted to the ICO your eligibility will be determined. You will be notified of the decision and asked to complete the application or informed that you are not eligible.
- Apply to a Host Training Center: If you are eligible, you will select and apply to a host. Please note that you may only apply to one host at a time.
- Host Application Review: Your request will be reviewed by the host you have selected. If accepted, you will need to confirm details agreed upon between you and the host. If your request is declined, you will need to select another host.
- Fellowship Application Submitted: You will be notified that your application is complete and will be reviewed by the appropriate ICO Fellowship Committee.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is March 31 and September 30 each year