Job Title: Training Officer
Organisation: United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO)
Vacancy Code: 18-Human Resources-DPKO-96569-J-Entebbe (R)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of the Integrated Training Service
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) is dedicated to assisting the Member States and the Secretary-General in their efforts to maintain international peace and security. DPKO provides political and executive direction to UN Peacekeeping operations around the world and maintains contact with the Security Council, troop and financial contributors, and parties to the conflict in the implementation of Security Council mandates. The Department works to integrate the efforts of UN, governmental and non-governmental entities in the context of peacekeeping operations. DPKO also provides guidance and support on military, police, mine action and other relevant issues to other UN political and peacebuilding missions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within the limits of delegated authority, the Training Officer, will report to the Head of the Civilian Pre-deployment Training Team of ITS and be responsible for the following duties:
- Implements the design, development, delivery and evaluation of training, learning and development programmes for field mission staff. These programmes encompass a range of activities including, inter alia, peacekeeping training courses, technical and substantive training, leadership and management training and organizational development courses. Coordinates and develops learning support mechanisms and activities for civilian staff and builds the capacity of national staff within the Civilian Pre-deployment Training Team.
- Identifies need for new or modified training policies and practices, working with sections and mission staff to identify forthcoming training requirements and develops strategies to meet them. Provides inputs into the preparation and monitoring of the training budget. Processes training proposals and requests and follows up with section training focal points to ensure that training guidelines are adhered to.
- Keenly monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of training, learning and development activities and develops appropriate reports.
- Provides advisory services to managers and staff, to ensure that training and development meets current needs and anticipates to the extent possible future needs. Develops tools and participates in the assessment of training needs, collection and collation of required inputs and preparation of relevant reports.
- Collaborates with military and UN police training officers to ensure that an integrated approach to training and development is maintained and integrated training is developed and delivered to meet cross cutting needs. Collaborates with training focal points of other mission functions such as Gender, Protection of Civilians and HIV-AIDS as well as UN agencies to ensure that cross-cutting issues are incorporated into the design and development of programmes.
- Coordinates the provision of administrative and logistical support for the delivery of training programmes and team activities; this may include completion of requirements in recruiting consultants and training service providers.
- Performs any other duty as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations DPKO Training Officer job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate) in training or learning and development, adult training, education or related fields is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in the specified fields with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in workforce learning and development, adult learning, training, or related areas is required.
- At least four years’ experience in the design, and practical delivery of formal training sessions and programmes is required
- Previous experience working in a field mission or post-conflict environment outside of your home country is required
- Previous experience working in a multicultural and/or international work environment is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency of a second official UN language, preferably French, is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of United Nations peacekeeping operations, including integration in missions.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of design, development, delivery and management of training for peacekeeping.
- Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate concepts and options and make conclusions and recommendations.
- Proven skills in management of human and financial resources.
- Demonstrates accountability and takes responsibility and initiative.
- Ability to coordinate and liaise with a variety of interlocutors.
- Ability to produce high quality work with limited supervision and in unfamiliar environments.
- Knowledge of information and communications technology and its application to the delivery, tracking and evaluation of training.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Uses time efficiently
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 20th June 2018