A total of 1000 Makerere University students are smiling like “Heaven has fallen on Earth” after hearing the good news about the MasterCard Foundation sponsorship.
The Oldest public university in Uganda signed a contract of US$20,989,965.15 with MasterCard Foundation to fund 1000 students who are academically bright but economically disadvantaged youth from Africa to study at Makerere University from 2013 to 2023.
The contract, signed by Makerere University Vice Chancellor Prof. John Dumba- Ssentamu and Peggy Woo of MasterCard Foundation, was officially exchanged on 1st September 2015 at a ceremony in Senate building, Makerere University.
According to Dr. Florence Nakayiwa, the Coordinator of Makerere University – MasterCard Foundation Program, this project will help in developing the next generation of African Leaders and also promote the strategic objectives of Makerere University and MasterCard Foundation in contributing to Africa’s higher education sector and development.
MasterCard foundation is a global, independent foundation which advances youth learning and promotes inclusion so as to catalyse prosperity in developing countries.
The program is offering comprehensive student support, that include;
- Tuition and Functional fees
- Accommodation, Feeding and stipend
- Laptop, books and other learning materials,
- Transport to and from home
- Medical insurance
- Psychosocial support and mentoring of scholars
- Capacity building program for life skills development in ICT, Leadership, Gender, Human Rights, Communication, Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy.