Job Title: Youth Enterprise Officers (3 Job Vacancies)
SNV is an international not-for-profit development organisation founded in 1965. SNV has long-term, local presence in 38 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV started working in Uganda in 1989. We work with 80 local service providers to reach 200,000 families in 108 districts. We focus on three sectors: Agriculture; Renewable Energy; and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We facilitate market-oriented services, evidence-based advocacy and promote knowledge development.
About SNV, AFARD and CEGED:
Starting October 2014, SNV in partnership with Agency for Accelerated Regional development (AFARD) and Centre for Governance and Economic Development JEGED) is implementing a 3-year youth employment project for west Nile with support from the European Union. The goal of the project is to create sustainable economic opportunities for the youth by promoting youth enterprises and skills development linked to concrete market opportunities in growth sectors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement youth enterprise development activities with 1,000 youth in one district,
- Register 250 urban and 750 young farmers (30% female) to participate in the project,
- Mentor, coach and support 30 young model farmers (YMFs) to mentor the 750 young farmers
- Support young farmers to drafting business plans and start-up of their on/off-farm
- Intuitively review young farmers business performance and facilitate market linkages with buyers etc,
- Secure internship with private sector enterprises to provide business mentoring to urban youth,
- Assist urban youth with enterprise skills, business plans, start-up of their micro- enterprises,
- Review the business performance of urban youth and facilitate market linkages with buyers etc,
- Support youth business centers to promote youth enterprises, youth skilling and networking,
- Mentor youth business centers to facilitate skills training, business networking and job linkages,
- Actively contribute to learning, knowledge development and advocacy initiatives,
- Compile and submit progress reports as agreed with supervisor and project manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Youth Enterprise Officer should hold a University degree in agriculture or agribusiness or business development or marketing
- A minimum of three or more years’ relevant work experience with enterprise or agribusiness or youth projects,
- Prior youth training experience such as mentoring, apprenticeship, internship will be useful,
- Skills in community mobilization
- Past training and facilitation skills
- Excellent communication skills is required for negotiation
- Skills in networking and mentoring,
- Past exposure and experience riding a motorcycle and willingness to spend most time working in the field,
- Computer literacy i.e. Proficient in MS word, excel and PowerPoint and able to use a laptop and smartphone.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates who desire to join the European Union Project should send an application letter, updated Curriculum Vitae, names and contact details of three professional referees, two-page write-up on “Youth employment in West Nile” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 24th October, 2014 by 17:00 Hours