Job Title: Accounting Technician
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 70,307,688 /=
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-056
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Financial Specialist, the Accounting Technician performs the budgeting and accounting responsibilities for more than two major budget and accounting segments (DS, PROGRAM, OBO, CONSULAR, PRM, PROGRAM REPRESENTAITON, NIH, DOD PEPFAR and CDC) in a large and complex financial management center, servicing more than 6 agencies across a myriad of allotments, each with individual limitations and restrictions. The position is responsible for complete, integrated allotment accounting, preparing related financial reports, complex budget formulation and execution and provision of financial management advice to agency and section heads at post. This includes, review of records for all financial transactions from a wide variety of documents, such as purchase orders, work orders, vouchers, journal vouchers, transfers between appropriations, liquidation reports, and travel authorizations. The position codifies a wide variety of obligating documents by type of expense, after determining that each obligation is valid and that funds are available and performs regular (quarterly or more frequent) records and ledger reconciliations to develop and prepare official monthly, quarterly, and annual reports by allotment and sub-object status to be briefed to agency and section heads at post.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Supply Clerk (Receiving) job opportunity should hold a University degree in finance, accounting, auditing, commerce, business administration, statistics. Required.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in budget work, accounts maintenance, bookkeeping and accounting or auditing work with a computerized system is required.
- Should have the full range of skills and abilities required in computing both procedural, technical and financial program planning and analysis budget work.
- Must be able to relate funds management with mission, programs, and projects of the post.
- Must be able to understand budget management implications of changes of priorities, tempo, and direction of programs and projects and be able to analyze accounting transactions and recommend appropriate adjustments to financial plans.
- Must be able to relate changes to funding levels brought about by reductions in allotments due to cuts, variations in exchange rates, increase cost of material and labor, etc., and advise appropriate management officials of budget implications.
- Must possess a high level of interpersonal skills in order to be able to gain acceptance of recommendations related to budget management issues.
- Must possess high level of skill in articulating (orally and in writing) complex issues and relationships between functions/programs/projects and funding options.
- Level II typing ability (30 wpm or more) is required.
- Advanced Excel skills, including the use of charts, pivot tables and lookup formulas are required.
- Language: Level IV (fluent – written and spoken) English ability is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the United States Embassy, US Mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 15th November 2022