Job Title: Senior Operational Risk Advisor – 00153037
Barclays Africa encompasses Barclays Global Retail Banking, Corporate Banking, and Barclaycard operations in 10 countries organised in four geographic areas: North Africa (Egypt), East and West Africa (Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya), Southern Africa (Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe), and Indian Ocean (Mauritius and Seychelles).
Barclays Africa serves its 2.8m customers through a network of 573 branches and service centres providing a variety of traditional financial products including retail mortgages, current and deposit accounts, commercial lending, unsecured lending, credit cards, treasury and investments.
The Barclays Senior Operational Risk Advisor supports business management in the identification and effective management of risks to which their Business/Function may be exposed, ensuring that an effective control environment exists which is actively managed across all areas of responsibility with a view to reducing operational losses and improving Business effectiveness.
The incumbent also has the responsibility for implementing all aspects of the Operational Risk Management Framework which aims to achieve the objective set out above.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Risk Assessment and Management – 70%
- Implement an agreed programme of regular monitoring and evaluation to ensure adequate standards of risk governance and policy compliance.
- Offer support process of design and implementation of Key Indicators (KIs) at SBU and Cluster level.
- Manage the agreed programme of operational risk assessments (RCAS) across the Business to identify the key business process risks, determine the effectiveness of operational controls and drive out remedial actions for improving the business’ control framework.
- Be the primary custodian of all business RCAs and identify and develop the tool for critical processes.
- Implement conformance testing on selected RCAs results as agreed with the Head of ORM
- Ensure full and accurate reporting of risk events by the Business. Conduct post incident reviews and analyse root causes and ensure learning points are identified and any necessary remedial action is implemented with a view to improving Business processes and reducing Operational losses.
- Carry out risk assessments (including due diligence where required) together with the Business over material change programmes and new products with a view to identifying material risks and ensuring that adequate controls are in place. Ensure that Day 1 and 2 actions are appropriately monitored and carried out.
- Ensure appropriate ownership of operational risk within the Business.
- Actively participate in the formation of KRI’s and KI’s for business units and the department.
- Steer the country on the full implementation of OPUS including revised versions.
- Manage training needs of Barclays’ staff members at all levels.
- Monitor Sundry losses.
- Support the team of Risk Partners and Analysts in all daily activities.
2. Advice and guidance – 20%
- Act as a point of contact for enquiries from the Business regarding all aspects of risk and governance. This may involve making presentations/training sessions to staff, as well as coaching and informal training as required.
- Provide guidance and support to the Business in advance of internal (and occasional external) audits.
- Review changes to Operational Risk RCA policy, procedures and regulations for appropriate changes to monitoring processes and implement appropriate amendments.
3. Internal Client /own staff Liaison and Relationship Management – 10%
- Provide review and challenge to the Business Owners in respect of control weaknesses and risk exposures.
- Develop & maintain an effective relationship at the appropriate level with the Business with a view to embedding effective risk management processes.
- Ensure staff development.
- Perform any other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate must have proven experience (minimum 5 years) gained in the Bank and/or a similar financial institution
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of risks, controls, risk management tools and methodologies.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the main operational processes within the Businesses and a good understanding of the procedures and control framework relating to those areas
- Possess the ability to analyse MI and provide reports capable of identifying key areas of concern.
- Capability to operate across a spectrum of Businesses applying risk skills and expertise to different Business processes.
- Proven effective communication skills involving staff at all levels of seniority and also involving external audiences.
- Proven analytical mindset and approach.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Broad knowledge of Microsoft Office particularly Microsoft Excel.
- A working knowledge and understanding of the markets in which Global Retail and Commercial Banking operates e.g. customer base and competitors in general and products and services.
- Detailed understanding of risk principles, processes and techniques and there practical application.
- Evidence of working in a Service Delivery/Relationship Management Role
- Maintain High Quality Standards and Controls.
- Problem Solving /Decision Making skills
- Service Excellence.
- Planning and organizational skills .
How to apply for the job:
If you feel challenged by any of the above positions, and believe you can deliver on key deliverables as outlined above, upload your application letter, current curriculum vitae and photocopies of academic certificate to our recruitment website detail below:
Click Here -> Job Number (Type 00153037)
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, develops and promotes people on merit, and rewards outstanding performance, regardless of background and gender.
For queries contact us on 0417122453 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 11th April, 2014