Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 22-Administration-OHCHR-195244-J-Entebbe (R)
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) represents the world’s commitment to universal ideals of human dignity. We have a unique mandate from the international community to promote and protect all human rights. The High Commissioner for Human Rights is the principal human rights official of the United Nations. The High Commissioner heads OHCHR and spearheads the United Nations’ human rights efforts. We offer leadership, work objectively, educate and take action to empower individuals and assist States in upholding human rights.
Job Summary: This position is located within the International Commission of Human Rights Experts on Ethiopia (IHREE) (the Commission) pursuant to Human Rights Council Resolution A/HRC/51/L.19. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Secretariat of the Commission.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Secretariat of the Commission and will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resource Management
- Undertakes actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provides advice and guidance to staff and experts with respect to administrative procedures, processes and practices, liaising with central administrative services as necessary.
- Assists the experts in all administrative matters, including travel, DSA and ongoing support
- Provides information regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Provides information on unit’s staffing needs for inclusion in department’s staffing table.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in developing the unit’s work program and budget; analyses inputs and formulates resource allocations by work program, or business processes.
- Monitors budget/work program with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds and grants, on a regular basis, and reallocates resources as necessary.
- Supports the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database.
- Contributes to the development of budgetary guidelines for own unit.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems).
Key Results Expected:
- Applies specialised expertise with respect to a range of human resources, programme planning, budget, financial and administrative management tasks of the Department/Unit.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Associate Administrative Officer job must hold a first-level university degree in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related field. (Candidates for this position must have passed the United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the G to P Examination. No examination is required for candidates in peacekeeping missions.)
- At least two years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related area
- accounting, human resources management or related area is required.
- Experience working with ERP systems, such as UMOJA, is desirable.
- Experience working in a United Nations field operation is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English or (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
No Fee: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who wish to join the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 29th November 2022