To most (if not all) senior six leavers, Makerere University is an epitome of higher education in Uganda. Due to the economy of the country, many students would rather not apply to the Varsity opting for less expensive Universities.
However, there are various scholarship opportunities aimed at helping the most disadvantaged but academically appealing students to have a free quality education at the Ivory tower.
Unfortunately, a few people with access to information know the opportunities but the rest are devastated with the university fees.
Here are the best scholarships for undergraduate students at Makerere University.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars at Makerere University offers comprehensive student support, that include;
- Tuition and functional fees
- Laptops, books, and other learning materials
- Accommodation, bedding’s and meals
- Medical insurance
- Transport to and from home
- Psycho-social and mentor-ship
- Must be admitted to study at Makerere University main campus in the academic year 2019/2020. This means that in order to fit within the Makerere University admission guidelines, all Scholarship applicants should endeavor to apply for admission when Makerere University advertises for private sponsorship.
- Must be from an economically disadvantaged background, and a citizen of any country in Africa.
- Should exhibit academic excellence in either Sciences or Arts with a minimum of 11 points for young women and 15 Points for young men obtained in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (U.A.C.E) or its equivalent from 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Must demonstrate leadership potential and commitment to social betterment.
- Must have a record of community service.
- Should not be a holder of any other Scholarship.
- Should not have completed any Diploma or Undergraduate studies.
- Should not be a registered student of any university or tertiary institution.
How to Apply
Applicants should download, print and fill the scholarship application forms in the link below and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Or .Applicants should obtain and complete the Scholarship Application Forms at no cost from Makerere University, Senate Building Level 4, Room 402, or down load the application forms
Deadline: 10th May 2019
The goal of Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) is to “To increase the enrolment, retention and improve their academic performance of female under graduate students at Makerere University; with specific emphasis on the sciences, and giving priority to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented geographical areas within Uganda”
Target scholarship beneficiaries
- Ugandan female students below the age of 25 years.
- Those who have been admitted to Makerere University on Private Sponsorship Scheme
- Those to be admitted on the basis of ‘A’ level results only (current and previous years)
- Those not admitted on Uganda Government sponsorship to any Public University.
- Those who do not hold any other Scholarship e.g. District Scholarship, KULIKA, FAWE etc
- Those from genuinely poor socio-economic backgrounds.
Target Disciplines considered
Priority will be given to science – based degree programmes with an added advantage for Bachelor of Science with Education. There are also limited places for programmes in humanities.
Limited to tuition and functional fees only for the stipulated period of study
- The award covers only the years specified for the program.
- Being asked to stay put due to poor academic performance automatically leads to cancellation of the scholarship.
- Failure to complete studies and graduate will require the student to refund all the money spent on her.
- Every beneficiary is expected to participate in the Female Scholarship Foundation (FSF) activities
- Payments of tuition and functional fees will be made directly to the University.
- Every beneficiary is expected to exhibit exemplary conduct both in and outside the University.
- The program will meet no other expenses other than those specified in the award letter.
- On completion of studies, beneficiaries must give back to the Makerere Female Scholarship Foundation for its sustainability.
The application is incomplete if: –
- The recommendation from the Head Teacher of the ‘A’ level School attended by the applicant is not submitted. This recommendation should be submitted in a sealed envelope with the Head Teacher’s signature appearing across the seal. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that the Head Teacher’s recommendation is submitted.
- It is not endorsed by LC officials specified in the application form.
A completed application should include the following:
- A fully completed application form
- Letter of recommendation from the Head Teacher of the A-level School attended.
- Endorsement by the LC 1 of the District of Residence
- Photocopies of ‘O’ and ‘A’ level Academic Documents
- Three Passport size photographs with the applicant’s name written at the back in block letters. (Please do not staple the Photographs. Submit them in an envelope).
- A copy of the applicant’s Birth Certificate
- Copies of death certificate(s) of biological parent (s) (if applicable).
- Hand drawn physical map of LC I /Village of residence with clear directions of how to get to the home of residence (indicate approximate distances in kilometres).
Incomplete Application Forms will be automatically disqualified.
Once awarded a scholarship, candidates should be able to demonstrate high academic ability and discipline.
All applicants or those who will submit the applications should ensure that they receive an acknowledgement of receipt of the application form from the FSF office.
Cases of impersonation, falsification of documents or giving false / incomplete information, whenever discovered either at the time of receiving the award or afterwards will lead to automatic cancellation of the award, refund of the money already spent on a beneficiary / prosecution in the Courts of Law of the Republic of Uganda.
Further information regarding the call for applications can be obtained from the Directorate of Gender Mainstreaming
Gender Mainstreaming Directorate
Room 401, Level 4
P O Box 7062 Kampala
Tel: +256 414 540 184
+256 414 597 907
The Chinese Embassy in Uganda has offered Makerere University 30 scholarships to be awarded to continuing students in various Colleges for Academic Year 2018/2019. These scholarships shall be administered by the Gender Mainstreaming Directorate (GMD), Makerere University. The total scholarship offer is UGX2,800,000 (Two million, eight hundred thousand shillings only) for 2018/2019. Renewal is subject to review.