Job Title: Clerk of Works (60 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: Ministry of Education and Sports
Duty Station: Uganda
The Ministry of Education and Sports (MES), is a cabinet-level ministry of Uganda. It is mandated “to provide technical support, guide, coordinate, regulate and promote quality education, training and sports to all persons in Uganda for national integration, development and individual advancement”, according to the website of the ministry.
Job Summary: The Clerk of Works will provide technical support to Project Coordination Unit in supervision of construction work at the respective site where they are deployed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out full-time day to day detailed supervision of the construction works at the allocated site;
- On a day-to-day basis monitor the Contractor’s work program, number of Contractors’ specified personnel and equipment on site, workmanship and overall quality of woks, quality of materials, and compliance with the drawings and specifications to ensure adherence to all building codes, and health, safety and environmental regulations on behalf of the Client;
- Ensure that the required standards of quality and accuracy of work and materials are maintained, including sampling of materials prior application to works, concrete slump tests, witnessing taking of concrete test cubes from concrete batches
- Check the drawings for any obvious errors in dimensions , detail and compare with specifications for discrepancies and report to supervising Engineer;
- At the commencement of the contract, check grid levels of the site with the Contractor;
- Examine the Contractor’s progress schedule, check and record progress of the work in form of pictorial and written formats and note any delays with reason;
- Settle minor problems of detail arising on site to ensure that work proceeds in an effective, workmanlike and economical manner;
- Check all baselines, setting out and levels;
- Check the position, dimensions and plumb of all formwork before concrete is poured, and of all structural members, walling, etc.;
- Check whether any rebates, mortices, holes fixings etc. are required in the structure before pouring concrete and check sizes and positions of these items in the formwork;
- Ensure adherence to the specifications and conditions of the contract by the Contractor;
- Ensure that there is adequate interrelationship between and among stakeholders during implementation of the project and update them on technical aspects of the project;
- Issue necessary site instructions to ensure good quality and workmanship plus compliance to specifications.
- Seek and obtain prior approval from Engineer for identified need to issue instructions that have cost implications or are a variation of the contract in any way;
- Approve materials for construction delivered by Construction on site before incorporation into the works;
- Reject and ensure immediate removal of materials delivered by Construction on site that do not meet technical specifications;
- Ensure that all construction work is accomplished as required in accordance with the approved work program and technical specifications;
- Ensure that the Contractor adheres to safety regulations (Safety measures will include provision of safety helmets, boots, guard rails, safety equipment, site signs, first aid, equipment, etc.);
- Maintain a site diary to record the progress of construction, delays, weather conditions and site visitors, and other significant facts, and submit weekly reports;
- Endorse day worksheets with certification in respect of hours worked and materials used;
- Check and ascertain that the Contractor has prepared for monthly Site Meetings;
- Attend to the site on all occasions and attend all scheduled site meetings and submit written progress reports every week, and a monthly progress report to the supervising Engineer;
- Post daily reports on tariffa Platform including photographs.
- Assess, analyse and endorse the payment recommendation form of payment made by the contractor in consultation with Environmental and social safeguards staff at MOES;
- Ensure Contractor fulfils all Contract obligations or the contract is accordingly enforced;
Key Result Areas:
- Timely submission of monthly and quarterly reports
- 10) Escalation of challenges on site within one day of failure to reach resolution with Contractor or stakeholders;
- Quality of the works constructed at each stage within the area of jurisdiction.
- Ensuring Compliance to ES requirements on site by Contractor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A minimum qualification of an Ordinary Diploma in Building and Civil Engineering or Ordinary Diploma in Architecture from a recognized institution with at least 8years’ experience of which four years is in construction supervision of building works at the level of Foreman OR a Higher Diploma in Building and Civil Engineering from a recognized institution with at least 6 years’ experience of which 3 years is in construction supervision of building works at the level of Foreman
- Computer skills in MS-Word, MS-Excel and Internet applications are essential.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills is a requirement.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- The candidate shall be fluent in the English language.
- Ability to speak at least one local language in Uganda is an added advantage.
- Proven integrity and confidentiality in handling public resources and in executing duties confirmed by letters from referees.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work with minimum supervision with an eye for detail.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Individuals should submit sealed applications accompanied with certified Copies of their academic documents and detailed Resume giving full details of the applicants’ education, qualifications, experience, three referees with their full address, e-mail and telephone contacts as well as the candidate’s full address, telephone number and e-mail to the address below;
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Education and Sports; and delivered to
Ministry Registry, Plot 9/11 King George VI Way,
Embassy House, 4th Floor, Room 1,
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 22nd August 2022 at 5:00pm