Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Ministry of Education and Sports
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Secretariat Coordinator
Job Reference: HCDP-L0F01
The Ministry of Education and Sports (MES), is a cabinet-level ministry of Uganda. It is mandated “to provide technical support, guide, coordinate, regulate and promote quality education, training and sports to all persons in Uganda for national integration, development and individual advancement”, according to the website of the ministry.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
To coordinate all legal activities under the Secretariat. Key Duties and Responsibilities: The main responsibilities and duties of the Legal Officer The incumbent will be responsible to the Secretariat Coordinator for performing the following duties: –
- Advising the Ministry and its affiliated Institutions on legal matters;
- Participating in analysis and review of policies and laws;
- Assisting in representing the Ministry in Courts of Law or any other legal proceedings to which the Ministry is a party;
- Assisting in drafting Legislations relating to the Ministry and the Secretariat;
- Interpreting laws that have a bearing on the work of the Ministry;
- Providing legal support to the Secretariat
- Liaising with the Office of the Solicitor Secretariat on all legal matters;
- Evaluating all legal documents submitted to the Ministry;
- Developing and writing legal memoranda and statements as may be directed by the Permanent Secretary;
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- An Honors Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University / Institution plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
- Applicants should have three (3) years of relevant working experience in legal practice from a reputable organization/firm.
How to Apply:
Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position as specified in the job description above. All applicants should attach photocopies of their certificates and testimonials, curricula vitae, referee letters, plus recent passport-size photographs.
Eligible female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short-listed applicants shall be contacted for the interview and final selection process.
Applications, quoting the job reference, should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Education and Sports,
Floor 4 Room 4.10, Embassy House,
King George VI Way,
P.O. Box 7063, Kampala, UGANDA
Hard copies should be hand delivered to Security Registry (Floor 4, Room 1), Embassy House
Electronic submissions are acceptable, but shall be in addition to the hard copies, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants should quote the job reference, and ensure that the submission package is as concise as possible, not exceeding 5MB.
Deadline: 11th November 2022 at 5:00 pm