Job Title: Credit Officer (2 Job Positions)
Organisation: Ustawi Microfinance Limited (Ustawi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Ustawi Microfinance Limited (Ustawi) is a financial institution offering Shariah-compliant, interest-free micro-credit products to low-income women micro-entrepreneurs in peri-urban areas of Kampala, leveraging on Islamic finance principles of shared growth, inclusive participation, risk-sharing and sustainable poverty- alleviation.
As the first and only Islamic Microfinance institution in Uganda, Ustawi’s philosophy is rooted in social impact, inclusivity, sustainability and women empowerment. Ustawi is looking for a credit officer, see details below
Job Summary: The Credit Officer will be responsible for recruiting clients, preparing and assessing loan applications, conducting due- diligence for loan applicants to assess their credit worthiness, monitoring group loan performance, engaging in loan collection and recovery, ensuring good portfolio management and performance and maintaining good client relationship.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Mobilize and Retain Clients/Groups
- Develop marketing and work plan for the establishment of solid clientele base
- Identify, mobilize and sensitize potential clients in the respective area of operation for the purpose of lending to them.
- Train identified group members on the Ustawi Lending methodology
- Conduct due diligence assessments for loan applicant’s financial status, credit and guarantor evaluations to determine feasibility of loan disbursement.
- Achieve targets for number of partners/clients in given area of operation
Process Loan Applications
- Meet with clients to obtain information for loan applications and to answer questions about the lending methodology.
- Evaluate and assess the credit risk of grouped clients by inspecting their business and household for potentiality, appraise clients’ business and repayment capability before disbursing loans.
- Generate and submit timely, accurate documentation to enable loans to be disbursed.
- Operate in compliance with laws and regulations and adhere to Ustawi’s lending compliance guidelines.
- Maintain complete and accurate loan documentation in the office and supervise the maintenance of group record keeping process.
Monitor Group Loan Performance
- Attend client group meetings as required
- Supervise groups to ensure timely repayments, attendance of meetings, update of group records
- Maintain client group cohesion
- Make recommendations on improvement of financial products to Ustawi Management
Also Read: Human Rights Officer/Child Protection Officer Job – Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Credit Collection and Recovery
- Ensure timely collections of credit (loan) repayments
- Follow up with group executives to recover credit (loan) from group clients in arrears.
- Participate in arrears management meetings
- Conduct immediate follow-ups of all late payments, observing a policy of zero-tolerance for delinquency
Portfolio Management and Performance
- Achieve targets for size of portfolio (and possibly other measures)
- Maintain target portfolio quality as measured by PAR (Portfolio at Risk)
- Prepare and submit timely reports on the number of clients, repayments, portfolio quality, loan recoveries and follow-up action on delinquent loans
- Maintain the institution’s standard customer service while interacting and engaging with clients.
- Provide advice to clients on borrowing and credit management.
- Maintain constant communication with clients and assigned groups.
- Ensure and increase client satisfaction in line with the core values of the institution.
- Ensure to build trust relationships, customer loyalty and satisfaction throughout the loan underwriting process.
- Conduct promotional activities, such as introductory group meetings and one-on-one marketing efforts.
- Provide welcoming and supportive service to all partners/clients.
- Manage the take-on of new partners/clients.
- Ensure reports are submitted to the Branch Manager on time.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Degree or Advanced diploma in microfinance, business administration, sales and marketing, economics, finance and accounting and entrepreneurship or any other related field.
- Knowledge in Islamic banking and microfinance, or conventional Microfinancing and group lending methodology will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should send their application letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy in email@example.com indicating the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: 24th November 2022.