Job Title: Data Clerk Volunteer PlayMatters
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kyegegwa, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
PlayMatters Project (2020-2025) is an education initiative funded through a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation. The program reimagines childhood for 800,000+ refugee and host-community children across Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda – children whose education and social development has been affected by displacement and trauma. Building on children’s amazing resilience and a growing evidence base supporting Learning through Play (LtP) methodologies, PlayMatters (PM) cultivates holistic learning for children ages 3-12+. PlayMatters is led by the International Rescue Committee and includes Plan International, War Child Holland, Innovations for Poverty Action, the Behavioural Insights Team in partnership with the LEGO Foundation.
On a rolling basis, the PlayMatters Project will be conducting a series of MEAL activities in Northern, West Nile, Southwest, and Western regions of Uganda.
Job Summary: The project therefore intends to recruit qualified individuals who will work as volunteer data clerks on a temporary engagement. The successful volunteer data clerks will support in data collection, entry, and analysis for the PlayMatters project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: As a Data Clerk Volunteer- Playmatters your tasks, duties and responsibilities will be:
- To collect and update relevant school data that meets the intended purpose and quality using PlayMatters’ recommended data collection tools/methods and platforms.
- To work with the MEAL Manager – PlayMatters regarding data collected through giving daily reports and timesheets detailing level of effort per day worked.
- Works with Playmatters project to update all appropriate databases such as CommCare (PMIMS, PAIMS) and Ms Excel.
- Ensure proper storage/ﬁlling of reports/forms in designated places.
- Clean, enter and do preliminary analysis of data to ensure data quality and completeness
- Runs consistency quality checks and makes edits as appropriate.
- Work with the lead education partner focal persons in schools to support in data collection and strengthen collaboration with the lead partner.
- Support in MEAL administrative roles where need arises at the IRC office.
- Conduct regular data reviews with team and provide feedback to MEAL manager and program teams in terms of data quality assurance and use.
- Actively participate in surveys and assessments when as needed and support with data management functions.
- Makes routine backups and updates on the M&E box files and online box folders at scheduled intervals.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should at least hold a diploma or degree in any of the following fields: education, statistics, social sciences, business administration, community development.
- Professional background in the education sector and/or data collection experience in the education sector will be an added advantage.
- You should be computer literate, especially in use of CommCare, and Fluent in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and Word (if you have experience with mobile/online data collection tools, please indicate).
- Experience in data or records management will be an added advantage.
- Previous work with an NGO on similar programs is desirable.
- Previous experience using an audio recorder, cameras or digitalised devices will be an added advantage.
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Ability to speak and write English and knowledge of the local languages commonly spoken is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate respect for diversity and knowledge of refugee rights is while interacting with participants/clients.
- Demonstrate highest level of confidentiality to ensure data protection and compliance with global GDPR and Uganda data protection and privacy act.
- Timely reporting.
- Remains productive when under pressure.
- Ability to enhance good interpersonal relationships.
- Good communication skills.
- Data analysis skills.
- Works collaboratively with team members to achieve results.
- Relates and works well with people of different cultures, gender, and backgrounds.
- Flexibility and prepared to work additional hours.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong and fast computer skills (primarily Word, Excel, Power Point, and outlook).
- Time management skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to respond rapidly to changing environments yet remain productive and focused.
- Capturing daily school attendance of learners in schools.
- School visits
- Review of daily Attendance per class at school level.
- Use CommCare to enter collected data.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 27th January 2023