Data Engineer – Kampala Branch[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Financial Services , Category: Computer & IT ]
Jobs at: Awamo Uganda Limited
Deadline of this Job:
Monday 18th November 2019
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Overview of the Position
Now that awamo has grown to this size, we want to harness the power of the data in the platform. To do that, we need additional ETL logic and tools in place to be able to actually make use of the data in a central data warehouse. Once we have that, we can start applying analytics to that data to further improve awamo’s products and services.
The crucial part of your role will be to coordinate and supervise all data-relevant development and maintenance processes in the company from a technical perspective. You are the bridge between business and IT which translates the business requirements into feasible technical solutions, and helps implementing the solutions hands-on regarding the data part.
• Bachelors’ degree in computer science, Information Technology, Software Engineering, Statistics, or any other related field – equivalent work experience will be considered as well.
• Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
• Good Git knowledge.
• Min. 3 years working experience
• Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
• Experience with API interactions coupled with JSON and XML data processing.
• Strong analytic skills related to working with both structured and unstructured data sets.
• Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
• Solid understanding of algorithms, data structures, and data modeling.
• Experience designing and implementing ETL strategies
• Experience with cloud computing.
• Strong knowledge of Python and the habit of writing automated testing (unit, integration, etc
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong analytical skills & structured approach to work
• Highly organized and extremely detail-oriented
• Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
• Persistent and very patient
• Ability to juggle multiple products simultaneously
• Willingness to work long or irregular hours
• Handle multiple priorities simultaneously
• Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
• Ability to build strong trusting relationships with all stakeholders
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment.
Responsibilities & duties
• Perform root cause analysis on internal and external data processing answers to specific business questions as well as identify opportunities for improvement.
• Manage, maintain and evolve awamo’s product data import ETL pipelines.
• Continually discover new opportunities and techniques for data acquisition
• Develop, manage and maintain awamo’s data warehouse
• Develop data set processes for data modeling (predictive and prescriptive)
• Ensure data integrity through contribution to the system development process
• Contribute to backend developer schema and data structure design discussions to ensure data utilization for future business requirements is catered for.
• Develop and maintain automated data sanitization processes.
• Develop reporting automation, reminders and data-based event triggers.
• Maintain UpToDate schema definitions for all data stores.
• Continue to research and employ smarter more efficient ways for both data ingestions, aggregation and analytic visualization.
Job application procedure
Interested and qualified candidate send your application, resume (cv) and academic documents (PDF format) to; The HR & Training Manager, awamo Uganda Ltd.
Please change to preferred language in the top right corner of the advert page, on the link below;