Job Title: Deputy Director, Industry Enhancement Centre
Organisation: Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI) is a private development company based in Bethesda, Maryland, US with additional corporate offices in London and Hemel Hempstead in the United Kingdom. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Deputy Director will play an integral role in the operation of Uganda’s Industry Enhancement Center (IEC). This full-time professional position will focus on supporting the strategy, vision, advocacy and management of the IEC, which will be Uganda’s leading source for oil and gas business and industry information, professional development and networking and policy advocacy. Specific responsibilities may include:
IEC Advocacy, Strategy, Vision & Support
- Assist the Director with setting aims and objectives to improve and expand the capabilities of the IEC to support local Ugandan companies.
- Assist with the policy dialogues on economic and supply chain issues facing local businesses with Government, Business Associations, Embassies, Donors and private sector.
- Provide leadership for the overall development of annual work-plans and business strategies.
- Identify opportunities to further expand and improve the IEC’s service offerings based on changes in the Ugandan economy and business environment.
- Plan the delivery of both new service offerings as well as improvements to existing programs
- Interface with clients and ensure that clients’ needs are met.
- Supervise, train, and coach IEC staff and support the successful delivery of their Scope of Works.
- Prepare the IEC’s monthly reports.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of course/seminars materials and educational products
- Ensure accuracy of course materials
- With support from the IEC Director, review monthly, quarterly, and semi-annually scheduled training curriculum and confirm it is in line with the Centre training strategy, KPIs, and other evaluation criteria.
- Administer assigned course curriculum to SMEs
Manage and provide direction on course scheduling
- Organize instructors’ schedules
- Direct Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) Support
- Provide ad hoc advisory to patrons on: supplier registration, basic business processes, basic oil and gas industry information
- Provide detailed advisory support to businesses selected by the IEC for business acceleration and/or incubation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Project Management, Business Management, Supply Chain Management or Entrepreneurship. At least 5 years of work experience, and 3+ years must be at the senior or management level. Related experience will be considered in lieu of academic credentials
- Self-starter, strategic thinker, and capable project manager.
- Experience working on programs with positive economic and social impact.
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint) or other word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation software.
- Good judgment and ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Eagerness to work in a start-up environment and ability to adopt to change.
- Experience in private sector, economic development, management or business-related field.
- Experience in local content initiatives.
- Experience facilitating trainings and developing content
- Knowledge of social investment, supply chain issues, oil and gas sector, workplace training, and related matters desirable.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 8th July 2022