Job Title: Driver
Organisation: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Associate
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Pulse Lab Kampala (https://www.unglobalpulse.org/lab/kampala/) is part of a network called UN Global Pulse (https://www.unglobalpulse.org) with other Labs in New York, Jakart in Indonesia, and Helsinki in Finland. UN Global Pulse is the UN Secretary-General’s initiative on big data and artificial intelligence for development, humanitarian action, and peace. In Uganda Pulse Lab Kampala operates under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator.
UN Global Pulse’s vision is a future in which digital innovation is used as a public good. And its mission is to accelerate discovery and adoption of data analytics for sustainable development and humanitarian action.
The Labs are spaces for joint experimentation, where we work with academia, the private and public sectors, and civil society
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents, and other items;
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc;
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Demonstrate exemplary driving practices.
- Daily Verbal report;
- Daily Maintenance record;
- Logbooks record as monthly record and report;
- Office car is maintained in the good mechanical working conditions;
- Log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption, oil changes, greasing, servicing done and keeps a logbook up to date;
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents, and other items.
- Provides administrative support
- Timely delivery and collection of mails, documents, PLK pouch, supplies and other items;
- Assists with basic operational support to the PLK Uganda team on tasks such as photocopying documents and filing;
- Provide technical assistance related to program activities as and when required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Driver job must have completed Secondary Education;
- Valid Driver’s license.
- At least three years of work experience as a driver;
- Two years of driving experience in a busy organization;
- Mechanical skills are an advantage;
- Valid driving permit with classes B, CM & DL;
- Experience with working in the Kampala metropolitan area.
- Language: Fluency in English
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th November 2022